Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a SM set up for the street

Hey guys....I am looking to get a street plated KTM or a bike that would be easily converted to street duty. I would like to make this bike 100% street duty only, just for back road spirited riding and short trips with the guys in the twisties.

I would like something that is at least as powerful as a drz400sm, hopefully much more so haha. What are my best options to a street titled machine? The most I can spend right now on another toy is $3000.

I like the drz400sm, but the drz is pretty anemic feeling, and they are pretty hard to find for under $3500.

any suggestions would be much appreciated!:lol:

For strictly street I'd take a plated xr650r with sumo rims over a ktm or drz any day.

Reliability, highway capability, power and comfy ergonomics make it a perfect street fighter.

I ended up picking up a ktm lc4 640! Nice bike with 21/18 wheels and dual sport tires 70/30 street/off road.

I am pumped to get the bike cleaned up and ready for the riding season in a few months. I am defiantly going to do regular maintenance, fcr carb, 17 SM wheels and street tires and a free flowing pipe and air box. I MAY do some head work, cams and over sized valves to see what kind of power I can squeeze out of it, but that depends on the cash flow situation.

lc4new.jpg

lc4new3.jpg

lc4new2.jpg

Nice bike, imo i think they look much better with the 21/18 wheels, i could never get into the small 17's on a full size bike.

why do they go with the 17's for SM instead of full size?

Nice bike, imo i think they look much better with the 21/18 wheels, i could never get into the small 17's on a full size bike.

why do they go with the 17's for SM instead of full size?

Because the sticky street tires are only available in 17's. The difference compared to what I've run on 21/18 is amazing.

Ron, its about less gyroscopic effect and rotational weight, and availability of tires as cleonard mentioned. Its amazing what difference it makes. My DR has had three different size wheel sets and each had its own feel, even with the same tire.

FWIW, I ended up with a 19"/17" setup for the street (and a stock set w/knobies for dirt). I found it to be the best compromise for my riding style.

006.jpg

BTW Ron, nice avitar...Zef Side! :bonk: