Sign in to follow this  

Fork seals on a Fatcat, installation question

I'm restoring a Fatcat for my wife and I'm doing the forks at this time. I've got them disassembled and have a new seal set ready to install but I'm not clear on putting the seal into the fork leg. I've been reading threads that describe putting the seal into the leg with the tube already in place and using a piece of tubing over the leg to tap the seal in place, does that sound right? My plan was to put the seal in the leg with a homemade seal driver made out to a plastic pipe that I will turn down to act like a bushing driver. Then I intended to lube my fork leg and slide it into the pressed-in seal. Any advice to offer to make sure I do it right is appreciated. Thanx

Edited by backinthedirt

Hey back in the dirt, Its not going to work like that for you, sorry. there are 2 bushings connected to the fork tube that will have to be on the bottom of the fork with the seals above for instalation. Just find out the diameter of the bearing driver you were going to use and get piece of PVC pipe as close as you can to that size. Leave your self about 4 or 5 inches to hold on to and work with. Then you can slide that down over the tube to tap the seal back in like a slide hammer. Its best to use a little torch and heat up the outside of the fork tube before pulling apart. take the bolt out of the bottom first. If you take out the spring first the bolt can spin and not loosen with out the spring pressure. I always use an air gun and hit the bolt real quick to loosen it. there is also a wire clip below the dust seal that needs to be screw drivered out to let the seals come out. Once the bolts out, the clip out, the tube is heated just pull the slider from the fork tube.It will take a couple of pulls to get it apart. Use the travel to pull them apart wacking the inner tube from the outer tube. Pull the old seals off and put the new ones on. Put a plastic baggie over the top of the tube and slide the new seal over the baggie onto the tube. That keeps the new seal from getting a mark or cut on it, the top of the tube is sometimes sharp with the threaded fork cap right there. Most of the time there is a metal washer under the seals, you can use that to help tap in the bushings back into the fork slider. Use the PVC to seat in the seals. Good luck, its a lot easier that it sounds.

Interesting topic !

This device, made during my lunch breaks at work, allows you to remove the fork seals without dis-assembling the forks. The design is based on a Genuine Yamaha tool that is shown in their ' Tool Manual and Guide '.

http://davesbikes.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/changing_fork_seals_the_easy_way_pdf.pdf

Using hydraulic action in a press prevents undue strain on the forks damper rod threads when compared to the method of heating the fork leg and filling with high pressure compressed air. A sure recipe for an explosion !

Dave R