Sign in to follow this  

cr500af weight?

Hey guys, I'm looking into doin an aluminum framed 500 for riding track and sand. My 450exc is just a little heavy for that :lol: I was just wondering what the dry weight is like for these? Also any helpful hints/ suggestions before I jump into a project like this? Thanks

depends on the options and year of frame, but around 235lbs without fuel

weight would be the last of my concearns but 235lb would be in the ballpark. have to find a decent motor and frame that wont break your wallet. '02-'07 cr250 is the only ones worth converting IMO but you can use alot of other frames. actually if i was going to build another one today i would use a newer ktm 250sx chassis

I think my 2011 Service Honda CR500AF weighed less than 218lb dry when I checked? can't remember.

you barely 4 lb more than '12 250sx. maybe you forgot to put the tires on :bonk:. i could believe 228

2X. The 500 has a big 'ole crankshaft in it, and big 'ole flywheel if you are running the 500 ignition.

I just read the specs on the 2006 crf450r on honda's website and the dry weight is 218.5. Why would a 2stroke 500 be heavier in roughly the same frame?

The Service Honda AF is built on the even lighter 2010+ EFI CRF250R chassis. It is a very light bike, and feels even lighter!!! You just gotta ride one.

I just read the specs on the 2006 crf450r on honda's website and the dry weight is 218.5. Why would a 2stroke 500 be heavier in roughly the same frame?

aluminum frames made for dirt bikes are not lighter than steel. Look at the size of the 2. Takes 2-3times the material in aluminum as it does steel. Heck KTM is still chromoly steel.

compare a YZ450 2005 vs a YZ450 2006 and check out the weight.

Plus you have to figure "dry" vs "minus fuel" weight. Not many people remove all the fluids in the forks, shocks, radiators, engine and then weigh the bike. MFGs can do this very easily. Again, depends on the year of the bike IE the frame and the options such as the stock or aftermarket tank, skid plates, exhaust material, etc. it all adds weight incrementally.

you barely 4 lb more than '12 250sx. maybe you forgot to put the tires on :bonk:. i could believe 228

What does a KTM have to do with this again?

Here's from Service Honda:

Dry Weight 213.8 pounds

I wish they compared weight without fuel rather than dry. But the dry weight does give us a comparison opportunity.

http://servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/13-honda-500af

aluminum frames made for dirt bikes are not lighter than steel. Look at the size of the 2. Takes 2-3times the material in aluminum as it does steel. Heck KTM is still chromoly steel.

compare a YZ450 2005 vs a YZ450 2006 and check out the weight.

Plus you have to figure "dry" vs "minus fuel" weight. Not many people remove all the fluids in the forks, shocks, radiators, engine and then weigh the bike. MFGs can do this very easily. Again, depends on the year of the bike IE the frame and the options such as the stock or aftermarket tank, skid plates, exhaust material, etc. it all adds weight incrementally.

Yea and ktms are quite a bit heavier then the af jap bikes. Have you ever thought about why they started using aluminum instead of steel? It sure isn't because aluminum is stronger than steel :bonk: sure it takes more material to make a frame out of aluminum then it does steel but the fact. Is aluminum is lighter then mild steel. Wanna really test it? Get a 2x2 piece of steel and a 6x6 piece of aluminum and see which is heavier

250 to 250, sure, the KTM is not much lighter than a new CRF, but it is still close to 20lbs lighter than the 450. KTM 4t's are heavier, having electric start doesn't help, but not their MX 2 strokes. None of the af 2 strokes built, that I am aware of, were lighter than their steel framed past.

If I remember correctly, my aluminum frame was about 1 lb heavier than my steel frame (03 cr250, 01 cr500). The cr500 engine was around 9 lbs more than the cr250, but included a couple of items (shifter, kicker). I never really cared much, but there it is.