Sign in to follow this  

Need help!! 1985 xr600r

hello..i just got a xr600 from an old friend and its been sitting up for about 2years..he said he shut the bike down after he had some value work done to it and he heard a loud clicking noise...so he gave it to me to try n fix it...at first i took simply did like a slight tune up (spark plug,air filter, gas, carb clean out) and tried to kick it over...it kicked a couple of turn overs then got completely stuck, the kickstarter would not budge with all my weight on it...after some looking i found the cam timing was off..thinking maybe the valve may have been stuck or something so i loosened them and took the bike apart to fix the timing..i got it back to correct timing marks on the cam sprocket n i think i set the value clearance right.(.005mm ex)(.004mm in)....my friend said the bike was a pain to start before he had some work done to it and when i put the bike back together it wouldnt start for nothing!!..i tried to pop the clutch by running down a hill n put it in second but after like a turn or 2 the back wheel locked up and dragged the tire..im not sure if it needs a new motor or where to start to get the bike to crank..anything u have i would def appreciate it..thanks -matt

Did it drag the tire from compression or a locked up motor? It sounds like you need to take your top end apart and recheck everything.

I have xr600 same thing happened. I found it was also out of time and tithe cam chain had come off the cam gear and jammed up in the top of the head causing the lock up. If the cam chain is stretched bad enough to skip it needs to be replaced. Trying to start it could of caused it to jump off or jump time. again. also loo at the cam chain guides and tensioner. Just somethings I have learnedly on mine. Good luck.

Something's worn out in the engine,,Camchain is definitely poked,,bottom Camchain sprockets probably worn out as well as could be the top,,Auto Camchain tensioner will need checking and a new spring adding at the minimum,,Both guides may need replacing as well, Wouldn't be surprised if the thing hasn't dropped a valve seat also,,Strip down will be needed to the bottom casings (no separation required of them) and the Clutch cover and all assorted gear in that side will need removing for you to possibly fix it,,No change from 3-400 dollars.,

when i took it apart to fix the timing on the cam with TDC i did see a lil slack on the chain with tensioner on and stable..maybe the chain is worn out...but how would i know if the cam sprockets are worn out (top and bottom)..and also im really double thinking the way i did the valve clearance...should i get a pro to do the clearance adjustments?? or would is that irrevlevant in the bike starting problems...

-and i reallly appreciate all the help guys

You won't know if the bottom sprockets flogged out until you get the right hand side clutch cover off and remove the sprocket for inspection,,Getting all the gear out of that side so you can get the sprocket out and put the new Camchain in is a mission in itself for the non mechanical person.,A picture of the sprocket here and someone will be able to tell you whether it's had it.,The top sprocket you can pretty much inspect with the head cover off,,it's attached to the end of the Cam.,bottom one I've generally found to wear the most..If you've done the tappet gaps and timing as per the manual or as per numerous threads that have been posted here on that subject getting a pro to do it isn't going to solve the jumping camchain problem,,only thing that can be done to fix it and make sure it doesn't happen again for another 30000 miles is do as I said above.,

Bad tappet gaps are never irrelevant to starting the bike,,they need to be pretty much spot on or you'll end up with all sorts of non start or almost starting or horrendous kickback issues.,