Sign in to follow this  

Another clutch issue

Hey guys. Need some inputs here if you don't mind. Just finished Prettying my 2001 Drz and wanted to go for a ride yesterday but could not. When I start her up and put her into first gear I can feel her "kicking" into gear but when I release the clutch the bike don't move forward and stands and idles in first gear. How do I go about sorting this

Tx

I would not use that in a motorcycle with a wet clutch..It's got friction modifiers...:lol:

It's true that it's maybe not ideal, but probably no cause for alarm. I've used it in the past in an Africa Twin (in South Africa) without problems, and even the most astonishing friction modifier couldn't cause that kind of slip at idle...

There's got to be some kind of mechanical problem here, either the plates or springs are toasted, or probably more likely some problem with the release mechanism - which could be something simple. If there's free play at the lever, what's it like at the gearbox end of the cable?

It's true that it's maybe not ideal, but probably no cause for alarm. I've used it in the past in an Africa Twin (in South Africa) without problems, and even the most astonishing friction modifier couldn't cause that kind of slip at idle...

Yeah..Not saying the oil is the direct cause of his problem.Though long term use of this type of oil will harm wet clutches..

Yeah..Not saying the oil is the direct cause of his problem.Though long term use of this type of oil will harm wet clutches..

Yep, that may well be true - and to avoid the risk of that, it would be good to swap to a motorcycle oil. But yes, I think we're looking at something more fundamental with this problem.

If there's nothing obviously wrong at the gearbox end of the cable, I'd be very tempted to pop off the (small) clutch cover on the right hand side and see what's going on in there.