Sign in to follow this  

1st post help needed

I just purchased 2 dirtbikes one for me 95 cr250 and one for my nephew 98 xr100r xmas presents for both of us. :lol: I got a great deal on the bikes as a pair and knew they would need repair. The xr is up and running great just waiting on the new rear rim to take it for a test ride. However the cr which looked as tho would be the quick fixer uper is not going as planned. The bike was gone over and looked good. Tested spark, compression added some gas and nothing to we tried to pull start with side by side wanted to run just wouldnt. Brought back to shop saw antifreeze leek got a top end kit began to install notice a crack in piston thru reed box. Pulled jug and piston was pretty bad not sure if it was us pull starting or missed on initial look over at purchase but there is now a hole in the bottom right engine case. I am having a tough time finding a replacement except thru honda at $300. So can anyone help do you happen to have one laying around, know someone who does or know where to get a good deal on one? Any imput would be great! I really would like to ride with him on xmas morning will order thru honda if I must. I still dont think Im hurt in the deal. $520 for both bikes have put bout $500 in xr wanted it top notch for my nephew and petty $ on 250 bars, grips not much. If i put more money into what are these going for? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Thanks,

Dirk

That's too bad about the case. You figure it was there when you bought it? Once repaired make sure you buy new carburetor jets at Rocky Mountain ATV (or elsewhere but they're cheap). A sitting bike will just clog up the jets terribly beyond the point of even cleaning them.

Yep already did that before I even tried anything. I believe that it was not but not 100% positive about that. I pressure washed and degreased 2 times and never saw it but if it was covered by mud/grease could have missed it. I assume that it was not but maybe it was rode something happened and it was shut down and put away before it did any external damage. I just find it hard to believe that I missed a hole that big. However the bill of sale I drew up it states that they both are in running condition less the cosmetic issues and general matinance from just sitting.

You can likely have the hole TIG welded no prob; TIG will also allow you to leave the engine in the bike with no fear of destroying your electrics.

The welder needs to be adept at CAST ALUMINUM, "cast" being the important detail. If he is the least bit hesitant, find someone else. The case can be ruined in seconds.

I have had great luck with welding cases, even had one where the entire "box shape" of the front engine-mounts on both case-halves was completely broken off. Propeller repair places are a good place to start, or a recc from your local bike mechanic. Once you find a solid recommendation, I would suggest just showing up with the bike, rather than calling first: oftentimes pro welders don't want to be bothered with a $20 job, but once they meet you they have no problem helping a brother out. LoL

If you will run a skidplate, you "might" get by with epoxy, but likely the crankcase pressure will pop it off over time. If I was sure that I was going to have it welded, I would NOT apply epoxy/try anything on it first.

Congrats on one of the best dirtbikes ever made. I would, however, urge you to put "Christ" back into CHRISTmas!

I just purchased 2 dirtbikes one for me 95 cr250 and one for my nephew 98 xr100r xmas presents for both of us. :bonk: I got a great deal on the bikes as a pair and knew they would need repair. The xr is up and running great just waiting on the new rear rim to take it for a test ride. However the cr which looked as tho would be the quick fixer uper is not going as planned. The bike was gone over and looked good. Tested spark, compression added some gas and nothing to we tried to pull start with side by side wanted to run just wouldnt. Brought back to shop saw antifreeze leek got a top end kit began to install notice a crack in piston thru reed box. Pulled jug and piston was pretty bad not sure if it was us pull starting or missed on initial look over at purchase but there is now a hole in the bottom right engine case. I am having a tough time finding a replacement except thru honda at $300. So can anyone help do you happen to have one laying around, know someone who does or know where to get a good deal on one? Any imput would be great! I really would like to ride with him on xmas morning will order thru honda if I must. I still dont think Im hurt in the deal. $520 for both bikes have put bout $500 in xr wanted it top notch for my nephew and petty $ on 250 bars, grips not much. If i put more money into what are these going for? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Thanks,

Dirk

I found one on ebay for $187. You could look there if you haven't already bought a new one or found one. If you want to be patient for the right deal, you could try JB weld which would hold up to just about anything. I am a perfectionist so that would only be a temp solution for me but it probably wouldn't ever come off.

I had a crack around the drain plug on my 125 that was buried under mud when I bought my bike. After a short ride on the first day I decided to change the oil. The crack decided to let go, and I had a significant oil leak. Had the cases welded by a reputable guy, and as a lucky bonus he melted the seal between the cases. After splitting the cases, new bearings and seals and two weeks I could finally ride it. If you have it welded, take apart as much as you can, you never know what collateral damage might happen. I would weld, or JB weld the case and that would buy time to find a suitable replacement. My cr 250 came with an extra clutch side case cover, and the one that is on it is jb welded. Haven't had a leak, and haven't swapped out the cover. Been riding it since June that way. Either way good luck and Merry Christmas.