Sign in to follow this  

Buying a Husqvarna te450/510 06-08

I'm currently in the market of buying an enduro for green lane use. having a break from bikes for 10 years i originally set my site's on the Suzuki rmx450 but with all the news on reliability along motocross style ride ability i fancy going back to huskies.

So the question is my budget ranges in the realm of te 450 or 510 between the years of 2006 to 2008. So with that in mind does anybody know of the upgrades between these years? also i think i'm favoring the 450 because i've read it rev's more and is better in tight forrest work and the 510 is basically a bored out 450 is this correct? Also are there any gremlins to watch out for? lastly can somebody confirm the weight and bhp of both please models?

all accurate feedback appreciated :lol:

08 the Husky's went to fuel injection.

Not sure where to steer you for BHP and such but weight in street trim is approximately 275lbs de-restricted.

Definitely lean towards the 450 if you are to be riding any tight woods regularly, the 510 is brutal in that element.

also i think i'm favoring the 450 because i've read it rev's more and is better in tight forrest work and the 510 is basically a bored out 450 is this correct?

Nope- different strokes:

97.0 x 60.8 mm (3.8 x 2.4 inches) 450

97.0 x 67.8 mm (3.8 x 2.7 inches) 510

You will like either- but the 450 will be easier in tight stuff for sure- the difference is the 510s wheel comes up a little easier at higher speeds but the 450 winds up fast. between corner's the 450 seems faster or the difference doesn't matter- I have a 09TE450- I have buddies with 06 08-10 250s-510s and 610s- I prefer the 450.

check out the "stickied post" what to do to your bike or whatever one of the first posts- it has alot of info- for the most part though I think there's no big "thing" to look for on these- more or less the same stuff on any used bike.

BIG difference is EFI in 2008- if you are hesitant about buying a first year efi bike and like the familiar keihin 41 get the 2007.

nice bikes:thumbsup:

hello again i'm over my friends house as we're test riding a 2008 te 450 tomorrow. So just to be sure as nobody posted any efi 2008 related problems, so we're there any major grelims with the first injections bikes? or if there were can you post also how much is an ECU or injection replacement would be? can you bump start easily if there battery dead ect??

i'll do a little search again, thanks for any feed back.

EFI requires power to work. You can bump start it, but not with a completely dead battery. Of course, that's way more likely to happen at home than out on the trail.

thats good then, so you can bump start it or kick if the battery is on the way out but unlikely to fade if your already out on the trial and more likely to fade in the garage.

If you leave the ignition and light on and take a long break (say lunch), you might kill your battery and not be able to bump start it. If your battery was already weak.

I have been riding a TE 510 since '05 and all I ride is tight, nasty, rutted, rocky, root infested trails of the Pacific North West. The 510 is a bit of a handful, but it flows through the woods well and the instant power and torque has me a bit spoiled. I have three friends who are on 510's as well and we all love these machines. (No major problems after many miles of abuse). Put an auto clutch in and it gets better! Either bike you will be pleased with.

The 510 is a stroker motor so the piston size is the same as a 450.

Good luck!

just so its mentioned. Its common to see a TE450-510 havepremature lower rob bearing failurs. Dont want to scare you but its a big job to change a lower rob bearing. I love my 06 TE510 but if i knew it was going to go so early i probably would not have bought it but u dont know untill it happens. Some go till 10k+ miles some only last 2k miles

just so its mentioned. Its common to see a TE450-510 havepremature lower rob bearing failurs. Dont want to scare you but its a big job to change a lower rob bearing. I love my 06 TE510 but if i knew it was going to go so early i probably would not have bought it but u dont know untill it happens. Some go till 10k+ miles some only last 2k miles

i wonder if the lower end bearing on the 06 was improved on later models? what milage did you have on it before it went? also how often was it maintained with Oil changes ect??