Sign in to follow this  

Rust in my 2010

Check what happen to my crankshaft. Finally the ''cooper'' particul in my oil filter was....rust

5c534.jpg

c38cb.jpg

f02b0.jpg

dfeff.jpg

This is a 2010, Bought brand new in july 2011

35 hours

Engine oil inspect before every ride

Engine oil and filters change every 5 hours

I sent this picture to Honda Canada

Could be a few things, first did you check the crank for TIR (total indicator runout)on V Blocks, the slightest runout will relate to this, or a slightly loose fit of the bearing to journal fit, If the bearing was a tight fit. I would guess it needed to be trued, or an out of balanced crank.

Chet

Looks like you had some water in your oil, and/or you stored the bike for an extended period in a varying-climate environment, where the temp swings were large, allowing ambient humidity to enter the crankcase areas. Maybe even stored without oil in it. It would be touch for rust to be generated in a bike that was regularly ridden (weekly) with normal 5hr-ish oil changes.

when they come to the dealer they already have oil in them, also most hondas usually four wheelers are covered in a anti rust coating called cosmoline but thats only the outside of the bike

when they come to the dealer they already have oil in them, also most hondas usually four wheelers are covered in a anti rust coating called cosmoline but thats only the outside of the bike

But the rust is just before the max oil level

Hmm, Whenever I replace a crank, they always come apart looking like this. I always thought it normal.