Sign in to follow this  

Help with speedometer cable length for a 2006 XR650L

The PO lowered my 2006 XR650L with new shocks by Race Tech and the fronts by ProTec to a comfortable 34" seat height. However, one of my riding buddies noticed that the front speedo cable has too much slack in it. This makes me believe that the installer either didn't use the OEM speedo cable when putting the bike's front end back together or the lowering reduced the cable's travel length just enough to create this excess cabling in the front which is just right for some branch or bush to catch it and send me sailing over the handlebars.

My question is does anyone know what the OEM speedometer cable length should be? I ran a string down from the speedometer and calculated that the approximate 'correct' length for my lowered bike should be approximately 37". The current speedo length is approximately (using this same string measuring method) 48" long.

So in summary, if I buy a replacement XR650L specific OEM cable for this bike, is it going to be too long (and have all that branch catching slack as the current cable has)? Or is there another Honda model's shorter cable with the same top and bottom end fittings that will meet my 37" length requirements? Anyone know?

...what would your best guess at the length of your XR650L's speedo cable be?

I just measured both my XR's.

'94 XR650L = 37" long

'86 XR250R = 35" long

The connections are the same.

:bonk:

those measurements validate mine. I looked on MotionPro and found me a cable that would fit the 250 so your efforts are much appreciated. In the meantime, I'm just going to have to be real careful with the current setup so that I don't snag any tree roots or thick bushes with my speedo cable...

Make sure your front fender has the speedo cable guide on it. It helps keep the cable from hanging out in harms way. With your lowered suspension the 35" cable should work great. The 37" cable is the stock XR650L length.