Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 30 98 clutch ProBlem

When bike gets warm the clutch is strange when I pull off. I can let the clutch lever right out the bike doesn't pull off and then it suddenly bites very strong. Any ideas

The easiest way to find out what condition your clutch is in is to take it apart and inspect it. That is a pretty simple job. Lay the bike on its side (fuel off) and pull the clutch cover off. Remove the bolts and inspect the clutch. Look for grooving/notching on the clutch basket, that can cause the symptom you describe. Also check the clutch plates for wear, and damage, this can also cause the symptom you describe. Check the steal plates for burning. If everything looks good clean up the plates with a scotchbrite pad and put it all back together. Change your transmission oil and make sure you are running the proper oil (that’s a whole new thread). Finally, back bleed your clutch and replace all the fluid.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

I've had a look and all seems ok. Clutch looks ok but I don't know how much fabric should be on plates. They look low. Could it be the oil I ran. Putoline light gear oil. I did have 800cc so thats good. I regards to one of the replays the clutch is cable so can't be bleed

When bike gets warm the clutch is strange when I pull off. I can let the clutch lever right out the bike doesn't pull off and then it suddenly bites very strong. Any ideas

Does the clutch work properly before the bike is warm? Did you check to see if any of the plates were warped?