Sign in to follow this  

Best Late 80's CR 250 ?

I'm thinking of getting a late 80's cr 250 to do a restoration project and eventually race in what we call evolution class here in the uk , which year was the best 250 ? I'm thinking 86/9 . Thanks .

86 only has the front disc. rear drums

87 has always been regarded as one of the best packages out of the factory.

88 is the same bike new plastic shrouds but honda made the forks harsh in the midstroke valving.

89 is the same bike, but honda swapped to the inverted forks and they were very harsh.

Be careful of the bike in those years as the right side case is magnesium stock and rots quickly. I believe you can get the replacement side cover in aluminum from Honda still.

Edited by JJRace

The '87 CR250 is the best of that era. I had a new one back then and it's one of the bikes I really regret selling.

I raced the 86,87,88 and 89. If your class is for the 80's only I'd recommend the 87 or 89. I loved the 87 back in the day and didn't care for the 89. BUT...If you can find a clean 89 and get the suspension done (even if it means newer forks) the 89 would make a good racer now for your intended purpose. I believe the 89 has a higher build quality and more modern handling. The forks absolutely sucked in 89 though!

I have restored and raced a 1986, 1988 and 1989 CR250s'.

The 1988 and 1989 CR250's are virtually identical except the 1989 had an inverted fork and was very harsh. Race Tech does make a Gold Valve for the bike, I never installed one before selling the 1989.

I currently race my 1988, it was Gold Valves front and rear. Great bike. Forks are now fine with the proper springs and Gold Valves.

1986 is a good bike, first year for the HPP valve on the engine and it is slightly different than the rest of the HPP valves.

1987 is a GREAT bike but some of the suspension and engine parts are "one year only". 1987's LOOK really cool.

All the late '80's have water pump rot issues due to the magnesium water pump covers. That rot will also clog the radiator so any restore will require a new water pump cover (a cover from a 1989 CR works and is now made of aluminum, problem solved) and a cleaning of the radiators.

A 1989 water pump cover fits from 1985 to 1989, pure bolt on.

Really it comes down to how available used parts are in you location.

If I had to make an order of desirability (in decreasing order) I would say it would be:

1989 least desirable due to the front forks. Also note you could always buy a 1989 and swap a front end from a 1988 onto the bike. That would make the 1988/89 bikes equal.

Hope this helps.

I bought new and raced 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991. Of the 80's I liked the 1987 best by far although my 1989 was scary fast box stock! The issue was the horrid front forks! I haVe to agree with the others also that the 1987 was best looking. If you put together a combo of 1987 CR125 and CR 250 that would be the ultimate!!

Another vote for the '87. Like camp, it was one of the best bikes I have ever owned OR ridden. The whole bike worked together. I loved the forks, and is one bike that the "Answer Roost Boost" made a bonifide diff; apparently that stock ignition was weak, b/c it def benefitted from the add-on. Loved the blood-red of the '88 tho---

Owned & raced an 87 as well. It's one of my favorite 250 2t's owned & wish I still had it. That was really good suspension & engine package out of the factory.

I have either an 88 or 89 cr 250 which has no mod late. Whats the best way to work out which year it is? Can anyone tell me by looking at this pic.

IMG_2210.jpeg

Edited by Lonedog

I have either an 88 or 89 cr 250 which has no mod late. Whats the best way to work out which year it is? Can anyone tell me by looking at this pic.

That's an 88.