06' RMZ 450 Air Filters

Ordering a new filter for summer and looking at a few different ones, looking at Uni, ignition, and K&N anyone use these brands? is there any better out there?, any feed back or thoughts would be great!

And also what kind of oil do you guys use in on your filter, I've been using 10-40 and the bike runs rough idle sometimes when it gets blocked, up a little, the oil seems thick so i have to clean the filter more frequently, I do mostly hard gravel riding but a scattered time on fine loose sands, any oil reccomendations on what to use?

everyone will tell you there best brand of air flter, but what i can tell you is that we have run twinair air filters for years. And no problems so far, we also run rock oil swaff on our air filters its biodegradable and cleans up nice in the washing machine. we also change out our air filters after every ride. hope this helps

Uni is a two piece filter. That's ok, but easier to get dirt between filter layers when cleaning. I've used twin air with no problems for years. K&N is supposed to let the motor breath better, but I don't know how well they work or if they would be good for dirt duty. For street they should be fine, but that's not what we're talking here. As far as oil, I use PJ1 foam filter oil and cleaner. I'm not sure if it's better than 10-40 but I know it's sticky as hell so I would think it would catch more dirt. Cleaning often is the key no matter what you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

I ride Nevada desert and have had very good luck with UNI and using the UNI oil and cleaner... also they last forever. I also use TwinAir and they come stock on KTM's. The OEM is a good air cleaner but it is expensive and usually doesn't last more than a season. The OEM lip foam starts to tear and breakdown after about 7 or 8 cleanings no matter how careful you are removing and installing it on the cage. I've never had anything blow past a UNI or TwinAir and as you can imagine it is very dusty here in Nevada. I also grease the lip with white grease for insurance. White grease is easily removed with the UNI cleaner.

And also what kind of oil do you guys use in on your filter, I've been using 10-40 and the bike runs rough idle sometimes

Dude, dont run engine oil on your air filter! it runs to the bottom and you will suck dust in at the top of the filter by the end of a ride. Use air filter oil.

Any air filter is good as long as you change em every ride and clean them properly

Yah I heard not to use motor oil after a few times with me using it :bonk: so now i'm trying to find better stuff to use, it's winter now so I won't be using the bike now anymore for about 4 or 5 months

• 3 weeks later...