Sign in to follow this  

1st to 2nd gear...

I have a brand new 2011 dr 650 and whenever I do harsh acceleration it seems to miss 2nd. Sometimes I can even get it into 2nd and it simply pops out. I've heard of two culprits, one being the clutch and the other a bent shifting fork. I mean are either of these even a slight possibility on a brand new bike with 3k miles on it? If so how do the shifting forks get bent?

i got 2011 model exact same thing took it down to the shop they just took the free play out of the clutch cable and it was fixed give that a go :bonk:

i got 2011 model exact same thing took it down to the shop they just took the free play out of the clutch cable and it was fixed give that a go :bonk:

Yeah that's what I was thinking it was... That and maybe the return spring is too light. So what exactly did they do? Just tighten the cable? Or something else?

So selection of other gears is no problem?

Not really... Although sometimes when accelerating in 5th it acts like the clutch pops out for a second.

I have an 06 that sometimes pops out of second during hard accelleration, when I change the oil it helps, but I'm thinking it is an internal problem. Your bike should be under warranty, take it back to the dealer. FWIW I think the DR transmissions are kinda crappy they can't take much abuse. I shift my DR firmly but I don't bang gears with it anymore.

Does not really sound like a clutch adjustment problem. Are you riding in stiff motocross type boots? Some times shifting is better with repositioning the lever so a complete shift is easier. I move mine up a notch. Just a thought.

Art