Sign in to follow this  

06' exc400 Seized - adivse

Ridding yesterday bike was doing great. No indications at all. When coming off a hill into the wash went to hit it and TING.... Done

My buddies blew by me thinking I stalled it somehow. When once came back I was already off the bike trying to figure out whats up.

- Starter just clicked

- Kick start totally frozed

- There was oil in the sight glass

- coolent in the radiator (felt hot but didnt blow the cap or smell of anything)

Got it rolled to a good spot and waited for my ride.

Pulled the cover off last night:

- clean / full oil

- no apprent jams in the tranny. I do have a Rekluse Z-start pro which I have not taken out yet. It came in the bike so I need to read up on how it works.

- E-start turns itself and the next 2 gears in there.

- Put a wrench on the crank bolt and was able to move it back and forth a bit. Piston moves up and down acording to a small wire I put down the spark plug hole to check

I have read about some issues of ealier bikes but seems to be back in the 01-02's

Advise would be appreciated on where to look next. I have never been into this engine though am competent with other motors just not 4storke bikes yet :bonk:

Thanks

I'm not sure what TING means but you have a couple of possibilities.

There's a couple of bolts that hold the rocker shaft in, they tend to break. If so you'll read good compression but the valves won't open. This is a minor issue.

Broken cam chain. Pull one of the rocker covers off and make sure the cam turns when you turn the engine over. If it did break the chain check compression. A valve may or may not have hit the piston. A touch more difficult to fix but still usually minor.

I'm assuming based on your post the flywheel isn't loose.

The real key here is do a compression check. If it's good than more likely than not you have an issue simply corrected. If not, tear down time.

Yea figured my term ting would give a great diognostic.

Pulled the cover and can get it to turn a little.

I have been searching. Is there any more info / pics I can look at you know of?

DAUM, Im so bummed. Can you guys invite me into the chat session?

fawk yep one of the nuts came off :bonk:

For future referance is this a fluke or is there a better way to check / tighen etc. I know they were tight when I did it. I double checked them etc. Just dont want to get into this mess again

Have not pulled the head but looks like the valves are OK from what I can see. Wont know for sure until the head is off

pull the plug pull the chain off you will have to remove the stator to replace the chain my best bet is its jammed in there someway keeping it from moving, replace it you might get lucky, think about it, chain break off it jumps a tooth BUT have you ever tried pushing one of the valve springs down it takes alot of work and power, so it would of jsut flinged off. which your vlavles would of closed because its twin cam and both lost the chain and both closed, so your piston just came to a stop because of he chain. replace chain then slowly push to the kick start down, you might get lucky if it wont repeat a stroke a few times then you have a big problem. if it does then you might be golden. do a compression check. check valves again. if on is really loose or two are just way out of spec then i thinnk you might have some problems. let us know and post pictures...