Sign in to follow this  

97 RM 250 project

Just got this beat blown up old RM for cheap. Going to try and fix it up for a decent bike I can get back into riding with, havent rode in the dirt for 12 years or so now.

Cylinder is in good shape. rod bearing went. suspension feels real nice, no leaks. frame and sub frame straight and in good shape. Rear wheel needs a few spokes and wheel bearings. Somebody put it together without one of the spacers and over torqued the axle nut and trashed the wheel bearings.

how it looked when I got it

rm2501.jpg

rm250i.jpg

Found a frame under all the grime

20111211132422819.jpg

rod bearing went. tranny in good shape. going to replace trans shaft bearings and mains.

rm2503.jpg

rm2504.jpg

ive basicly done the same i got 1997 rm125 though $50 ive nearly rebuilt the whole bike i really like 90's bikes my friends say im going backwards (2005 cr250) to the 125 but i see it as bit of fun and have been told good things about the suspension

Just got this beat blown up old RM for cheap. Going to try and fix it up for a decent bike I can get back into riding with, havent rode in the dirt for 12 years or so now.

Cylinder is in good shape. rod bearing went. suspension feels real nice, no leaks. frame and sub frame straight and in good shape. Rear wheel needs a few spokes and wheel bearings. Somebody put it together without one of the spacers and over torqued the axle nut and trashed the wheel bearings.

how it looked when I got it

rm2501.jpg

rm250i.jpg

Found a frame under all the grime

20111211132422819.jpg

rod bearing went. tranny in good shape. going to replace trans shaft bearings and mains.

rm2503.jpg

rm2504.jpg

I have a good friend that comes on here occasionally, he has 2 96's one is blown up, the other is his baby.

I LOVE those 49mm conventional forks :bonk:

by the way, dont grab those front brakes to hard :smirk:

I have read nothing but good things about these forks. I even read a thread where a guy had an 05 or so RM250 and he wanted to put these forks on it instead because they are better for trail riding and hare scrambles and such... They look like inverted forks put on up side down haha.

I spent a few hours on trying to bring the shine back into my gas tank today. It cleaned up nicely. As for the rest of the plastics im going to just replace them. Got a parts list going now, going to try and build the motor before I get into cosmetics. Ill keep updating as I go.:bonk:

62171887.jpg

90391482.jpg

Started cleaning up my parts. Found my rear brake caliper needs to be rebuilt also because of the missing axel spacer. The piston was crooked and siezed up and chewed up the seals. Got motor parts ordered. Should be starting to put it back together soon.

motorapart.jpg

20111230192240657.jpg

20111231170256234.jpg

I just did a total rebuild on my 96 RM 250 so let me know if you have any questions. I love these bikes and can keep up with my buddys 450r

Josh I want to see pics of the blast setup? I have some stuff to blast and make like new.

The RM actually came from me. I wanted to get it together for a woods bike but never rode a two stroke let alone a 250. So it was sold and now I will see the progress here and and person ha.

Josh- you have the atk on the site here too?

One mans trash is another mans treasure.... was missing everything but the glass bead media. Went to harborfreight and got a cheapo blast gun that you have to manually load. Works wonders:thumbsup:

20120101201657945.jpg

Harborfreight also sells a soda blaster setup but its 100$. Heres my poor man set up. Cost me 1.09$ for the baking soda:thumbsup:

20120101201804768.jpg

Stripped the rest of the bike down to bare frame. To paint the frame or not to paint the frame is my new dilemma. Its not in the budget to get it powder coated or painted professionally, and I dont know if I want to go through and rattle can it so hmmm.... I dont look to bad after I cleaned the snots out of it. Plus when its all together you barely see the frame anyway.

Swing arm and linkage and steering bearings were all in good shape :smirk:

20120104141152102.jpg

After scrubbing

20120104151631633.jpg

20120102125429775.jpg

20120102134356718.jpg

Spent tonight removing broken bolts:doh:

Got my parts in for the engine today

Finished cleaning up all other parts so its all just got to be put back together at this point. If we keep having these 60 degree days in Jan I may be riding this thing sooner then I thought:banana:

20120107185640213.jpg

20120107160535793.jpg

Did you just soda blast your hub laced and in the rim or did you take it out, What all in that box ?

I left the wheels laced and soda blasted them out in the yard. The box is full of glass bead, I used that for the calipers and brackets and what not. Bead blasting is a lot more abrasive then soda blasting.