Sign in to follow this  

starting problem on 2010 kx250f

ok so i just bought a 2010 kx250f with only maybe 15 hours on it and raced once , it always started one kick no work at all it was pretty much brand new, after i rode in the sand once and went back home to wash it i tried to start it and it would not start, i changed my oil, my oil filter my spark plug check all my wires,now i have to keep kicking and kicking, when i hold it wide open thats the only time it will start, when i have the choke on it sounds like it floods it and kills it and then i have to kick even more, im out of ideas of what it could be and its very frustrating:foul:! please help!

Sand can get in anywhere. It can go through the air filter too if not careful.

Make sure you have valve clearance

Make sure you have not forgotten any rags or pieces of paper in the intake from washing the bike.

Make sure the hoses from the carb are not clogged.

Make sure the coil is firmly pushed down on spark plug.

Make sure the kill button works as it should.

If the above steps will not fix it, clean the carb thoroughly.

did u wash the bike with the filter in and try starting without changing it?

i wash the bike with the air filter in after i ride but after im done cleaning it i clean the air filter, i clean it every time i ride, change my oil after every 2 to 3 times, clean my chain after every ride, lube it up again, make sure all the dirt is off completely wipe around the inside where the air filter is with a rag, check wires and all the basics, changed my spark plug before winter so i cant ride right now and im trying to get it ready for spring

Also, 4-strokes don´t like freshly oiled filters. If the filter oil is a little thin, the engine will suck it right off the filter and can clog the carb up.

Oil the filter the night before the ride, not the same morning.

i wash the bike with the air filter in after i ride but after im done cleaning it i clean the air filter, i clean it every time i ride, change my oil after every 2 to 3 times, clean my chain after every ride, lube it up again, make sure all the dirt is off completely wipe around the inside where the air filter is with a rag, check wires and all the basics, changed my spark plug before winter so i cant ride right now and im trying to get it ready for spring

good,you would be surprised how many start the bike up right up after washing with a wet filter.

what jetting do you have in the bike? i run 42 pilot ncys needle and 175-178 main. in real cold weather you can go to a 45 pilot

i really have no clue about the jetting, how do you figure that out? isnt it that screw on the bottom of the carb?

o boy im at work now maybe someone else can explain. the richer pilot will make a big difrence

Well, as others have said first sand gets into everything.. It's possible the pilot jet is clogged.. This makes starting hard as hell and when it does start it tends to die and run like crap on the bottom to mid..

On another note as said sand will get into everything and can destroy perfect valves in as little as 15 minutes of run time.. Check valve clearance after you check your carb's pilot jet..

well its my first time owning a bike like this, and the last owners lost the manual so i dont have one, and yes they did take really good care of it... so how do you check the carbs pilot jet? how do you unclog it?

well its my first time owning a bike like this, and the last owners lost the manual so i dont have one, and yes they did take really good care of it... so how do you check the carbs pilot jet? how do you unclog it?

best to just replace the pilot since it's less then 5 dollars.. Put in a 42 pilot regardless if it was a 42 already or the oem 40

By the way check to make sure your fuel screw did not back out and or fall out as this will also make starting the bike extremely difficult.