Sign in to follow this  

trade an 07 yz250 for an 04 ktm 200exc?

so i am mostly a woods trail rider, some moto. 37 years old, maybe

middle c class rider if i was to race.... i ride at night also and the yz 250 is a great all around bike but has no light. the 200 exc seems like a great trail bike, how much am i loosing going from the yz to this? i hate to loose alot of power, although the 250 has more then what i can safely use :smirk: guy wants to trade even, his bike is mint, mine needs a few things, couple hundred bucks worth.... cant decide, would love the ktm but am afraid i will miss the motor and suspension of the yz :bonk:

Keep it. No way I would trade for that. Put a light on your bike. If you do trade I wouldn't do it straight across.

id like to put a light on my bike but with a stator and a good light im looking at 800 bucks!

You will spend way more than $800 bucks getting the suspension and motor on that KTM sorted out for your liking.

If you like the YZ suspension, then you are going to very quickly want to do some upgrading on the KTM just to get it close.

The 200 will feel like stepping down to a 125 power wise when compared to your YZ.

There is no way that I would make that trade. Not unless the KTM owner through at least a grand my way.

the ktm has a pr2 suspension so i was thinking it should be good? i am worried about the power difference.... i was also thinking about him giving me the bike plus some cash, although mine needs a little maint.....

i ride at night with a helmet light and two bike lights on my bars, marginal at best.... even for decent helmet lights your looking at 400 bucks, and they just are not the same as a good halogen headlight... i am also wondering if i will be a faster rider/have nmore fun on a slower bike because it is easier to ride......although i am pretty used to the yz power delivery....

I think that's a good trade, KTM's hold there value more. I had a 2001 200exc and it was my favorite bike ever! I sold it for $2600 and bought my yz for $2200.

I had an 04 200,,poor suspension, weird ktm handling, he needs to give you two of those things for an 07 yz,,,,no way.

Get a modern LED lighting kit for the yz, run of a battery in the air box, easy run for over six hours on LED's, bright light too,,spare litho batts in a camel back,,too easy

sounds like a good trade since you really want a woods bike. 200 will have more than enough power. That being said you coud probably get some good inexpencive battery opperated led lights that would work for nite riding.

Stepping down from a YZ to an 04 KTM 200?????? bring your chute as it is a longggggggg way down.

pontiac, how is the handling weird on the ktm? also, since you have had both, how is the ktm suspension different, besides softer? the more i think about it the more i think i will keep mine......

lol i am worried about the parachute thing, but i am getting older, just not sure how old yet :bonk:

post this in general and you'll get a lot different answers

the power difference is not that much, but handling is

The yz is going to handle fast stuff quite a bit better, the pre 2008 ktm's were headshaky and squirly at speed, but turned really good, pick your poison, do you ride tight stuff or open fast stuff?

gearing spread is better on the ktm by a ways, but if you ride open stuff, you should not have bothered to read this line

i was gonna post this in what bike to buy, maybe i should.... i ride faster open stuff, 3rd or 4th on the yz with 13/48 gearing....i dont like squirly at speed.... i know this is the yz forum but i have found most people are honest and not just brand biased in here.... i think i would like a new ktm, just not the price tag.... maybe buying an old one is not the best idea...

you really shouldn't be looking at a ktm older than 2008 then, unless the yz is really not working for you, and it sounds like all it needs is a headlight