Sign in to follow this  

xt350 smokes

Hi, my XT 350 is smoking pretty bad with only 3180 miles on it . I'm guessing the valve seals have hardened from sitting in the previous owners garage for years . I going to tear it apart and see whats wrong with it . I bought a complete gasket set with viton valve seals to use . I will measure the ring gaps to see if they are in spec as well . Can someone please share what valve spring compressor they used on thier rebuilds ? Thanks in advance and if you have any tips or tricks that I might be able to use that would be appreciated .

The factory special tools are very reasonably priced. Get a price from a dealer, or take the head to a machine shop that does motorcycle engines. Modern valve work uses carbide cutters, and the valves and seats need very little lapping to complete the job. The last valve job I did was cheaper, and better, by having the machine shop guy do it. I've done hundreds of valve jobs, but unless you have the tooling, it is often better to farm it out, if there is a good shop in the area.

Good luck.

Can someone please share what valve spring compressor they used on thier rebuilds ?

I use a short piece of pvc with part of the side cut out for access and one of these :

17t_sm.jpg

Works good .

There's a quicker tool(s) :

http://www.klsupply.com/TOOLSPARTS/KWIKLOADERVALVEKEEPERTOOL.aspx

Kwik-Loader_Thumb.jpg

Kwik Loader Valve Keeper Installation/Removal Tool

http://www.amazon.com/Supply-Kwik-Loader-Valve-Keeper-35-3568/dp/B00384G62G

I came across this tool set and it seems they would save a lot of time and frustration . But , They come at a rather steep price for the average guy .

Thanks for the tip . Do you know any dealers that sell that quick loader and a 12mm adaptor for a compression guage ? It might be worth a shot to fill the cylinder with compressed air and use that quick loader to change the valve seals and see what happens . The bike runs great it just smokes like a two stroke, LOL .

Do you know any dealers that sell that quick loader and a 12mm adaptor for a compression guage ?

If you call Amazon a dealer :

http://www.amazon.com/Supply-Kwik-Loader-Valve-Keeper-35-3568/dp/B00384G62G

And , the description is pretty vague but these are 10mm, 12mm and 14mm.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3618-Adapters-Compression-Tester/dp/B001QUHFQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323732070&sr=1-2

Both for only $93.05 . Told ya the tool set was a bit pricey .

Be careful of the burr the valve keepers end up putting on the valve stem. If not careful, will score the new seals, and they'll leak like a sieve. Use something the get the seals past the keeper groove. They used to sell little plastic pill capsule like things to do just this. See auto parts supplier to find them.

Thanks for the tip . I was reading through my clymers manual and it warns you to check for that before removing the valves so that you don't ruin the valve guides too. Hopefully I can tear it down this weekend and find out whats wrong with it . Can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay for a valve job from the motorcyle shop asuming the valves and guides are still good ?

Way too much . That's why I do it myself . I get the benefit of knowing exactly what I have as well . It's a pretty easy job . Just time consuming , but way better than watching TV . :bonk:

If I had to fair a guess , I'd think about a hundred bucks , but I might be way off on that .