Sign in to follow this  

What bike to buy? Selling my DRZ 400SM and TTR 250. 690?

Guys,

I am soon going to be selling my DRZ 400 SM commuter, and my TTR 250 trail bike.

Basically I won't be commuting on a bike anymore due to a new job with company car, I currently own 3 bikes including a CBR600 and want to cut down on the number of bikes I own/maintain/tax/insure.

I want something that will capture the spirit of riding supermoto on a 4-5 hour B-road blast, but also something that will be very capable of doing some green laning and possibly some LDTs.

I have been considering a few bikes, but KTM's 690 Enduro is standing out as a bike that will do anything pretty well.

I would also consider a competition bike like an EXC or a TE 511, but I am concerned about the maintenance intervals if using for LDT's/trail riding & b-road blasts (with supermoto wheels).

I am also concerned about the comfort of a competiton bike, I know a 690 is far from comfortable but can get a comfy seat for it, and it should be able to pull taller gearing and be more suited to the road work perhaps?

My budget will be about 5k, I would like some guidance on which bikes to test/look at.

Also is buying a 2nd hand competition bike a minefield? Won't be easy to tell how hard a life the motor has had.