Sign in to follow this  

kdx 220 clutch removal trouble

Hi all,

I bought a 1999 kdx220 basket case that needs the cases split, but I am having trouble getting the clutch basket nut off. I have the Kawasaki manual, and it says to hold the flywheel with the holder and then loosen the nut, but when I hold the flywheel, the inner clutch hub that has the nut on it continues to spin. I can't figure out why this is happening-no matter what I do, I can't get the inner hub to hold fast. I am going to use my impact driver to get the nut off, but I'm afraid I won't be able to reinstall it if I can't secure the clutch. Plus, I can't understand how the manual would be so wrong. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

it shouldn't be spinning. Something's up for sure.

I'd use the impact and get it apart then figure out what's wrong with it. I did this procedure on my 200 and it went just as the manual says. Makes me think a spline is buggered or something else is broken.

Just thought of something, is the flywheel key stripped? Have you got a flywheel puller to check? It's possible that's why the nut's just spinning. it's a 27mm lht by 1 I think for the puller

Thanks for the responses. The flywheel key is good-I pulled the flywheel off to check, and if I hold the bare crankshaft with one hand, I can spin the clutch inner hub with the other, there's that much play in it. If I put the bike in gear, I can get it to hold by holding the countershaft sprocket, but if I just hold the crankshaft/flywheel the inner hub continues to spin. I'm really confused by this.

use the impact. when you reinstall the nut, hand thread it on than use the impact to run it down. if the nut is staked like mine is on my kx, it will be a bear to remove any other way. they sell a tool that slides down over the inner hub and between the fingers of the basket. motion pro sells it. otherwise the inner hub will just spin regardless what you do. i also take a thin piece of wood, like a piece of shim stock, and use it to prevent the hub from spinning. dont want your fingers in there.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0008/