03 TE610 best power performance upgrade?

Looking for input on getting some snap into the motor off idle. I love the bike in many ways (way better than my DRZ) but I rode a DR650 today that had a full fmf pipe setup and a 39mm keihin pumper carb on it (he also did the necessary suspension upgrades). He did no engine internals and those simple changes made it run unlike any dr650 I ever rode. That front end came up effortlessly and the pull was so strong. Has anyone found a good setup for the 03 generation te610? I sure would like to gain some of that snap.

Thanks

are you still on standard "catalyst" pipes and gearing??

the pipes are restrictive ., if not any quieter,

the standerd TE left kick pipes give it more power and the same sound,

gearing will improve the lift no matter what,

carb work will also help,

there are LOTS you can do , but it's all down to your use , budget and loss of reliability / durability,

Charlie

All stock setup. What is a .dan carb?

I really don't want to create anything unreliable.

Gearing is an option but if there's more in the motor to be had without internals, I want to pursue it. Gotta be power gains, not just noise.

Thanks!

All stock setup. What is a .dan carb?

I really don't want to create anything unreliable.

Gearing is an option but if there's more in the motor to be had without internals, I want to pursue it. Gotta be power gains, not just noise.

Thanks!

Probably a pumper carb.

Pipe and cam available from Uptite...714 540-2920. George can advise you as well as anyone.

i meant get the carb that is on a te 610 kick only bike .it will mount right up ,has different jetting and makes the bike perform better.or you can get the same jetting from a 2001 te 610 and put it in your carb.this may be a less expensive option.you need a different main jet and emulsion tube.,the mixture screw needs to be adjusted,they were capped.

I have an '03 TE610E. First mod is as noted, change jetting to 2000 TE610 (the 2001 is a TE570) left kick enduro specs. I don't think you want to change carbs, as the enduro only 610/570 doesn't have an accelerator pump and our TE610E does. DO NOT mess with the pumper on your carb like it's a Keihin, you'll regret it. Next simplest mod is, swap the 15T CS for a 14T. George can hook you up with a cam and exhaust. The geometry and weight bias of this bike makes it hard to loft the front wheel generally.

I have an '03 TE610E. First mod is as noted, change jetting to 2000 TE610 (the 2001 is a TE570) left kick enduro specs. I don't think you want to change carbs, as the enduro only 610/570 doesn't have an accelerator pump and our TE610E does. DO NOT mess with the pumper on your carb like it's a Keihin, you'll regret it. Next simplest mod is, swap the 15T CS for a 14T. George can hook you up with a cam and exhaust. The geometry and weight bias of this bike makes it hard to loft the front wheel generally.

Thanks Norman. I had called George and asked specifically about putting a pumper carb on and he never mentioned it had a pumper carb. In fact he said they don't need them and he had taken them off before. I found that a little odd, but I have limited knowledge. He did give me good basic advice like make the the valves are right first, then suggested 180 & 60 jets and set the mixture screw. Confused now by your suggestion (which I greatly appreciate the input). I may do the 14T but where does that leave rpms at 65-70 mph? I agree about the weight bias, but I recognize it's also one reason I bought it as it is so much more planted and stable at higher speed dirt and gravel than my drz ever was. Maybe the front end doesn't have to come up so much as just get that punch.

If you're doing fast road riding, forget the 14T CS. I'll see if I can find my jetting notes. I misplaced my notebook when doing some re-modeling. As Dan mentioned, the emulsion tube needs to be swapped as well as the jets.

You might search ADV Rider and Yahoo TE610E bb, as I posted my jetting over there about 6 years ago.

If you're doing fast road riding, forget the 14T CS. I'll see if I can find my jetting notes. I misplaced my notebook when doing some re-modeling. As Dan mentioned, the emulsion tube needs to be swapped as well as the jets.

You might search ADV Rider and Yahoo TE610E bb, as I posted my jetting over there about 6 years ago.

Thanks again. I did buy this bike primarily for forest roads, gravel, some atv stuff. I have not tried this bike on single track as I just figured it would be a bear, but really it is only a few pounds heavier than my drz was (which I used on single track all the time) and it just feels better balanced and sorted so.....? The 14T changes things that much then? Ultimately I think I want a new 35" TE 250 too, but in the meantime I may play.

• 10 months later...

I was curious if you'd made any progress on this, so I figured I'd bump this. I'd like to upsize the balls on my '03 610 some, but I'm not interested in going with a new pipe. I know the Uptite pipe is loud a heck and I don't want that.