Sign in to follow this  

Mounting Issues :)

I had a thread a few weeks ago about what was the best handguards, well everybody said cyrca, well guess what, I DONT WANT THEM... and I posted that and continued to get people saying get the Cyrca's!!! No, I want acerbis uniko vented handgaurds, but I want some wraparounds behind them. It can be done, i've seen it, but I want to know what wraparound handguard will mount to the acerbis uniko vented... anybody know

P.S. I really dont want cyrca's :bonk:

I could screw a couple trash can lids to any wraparound bar...so I'm pretty sure you can screw a piece of plastic to them too :bonk:

Just get a set of Moose or Tusk brand and slap them on there. I have them on a couple bikes, I also have a set of Cycras on my YZ, those things are the biggest PITA to mount I have ever seen. My next set will be cheap ones.

I can tell you something about the acerbis ones. I ride MX and wanted a hand guard for the early part of the racing season due to the cold air. I figured having a set of guards would keep the air off my hands and wouldn't cause them to get cold.

The Acerbis guards themselves are good .......but its just the mounts that are not much account. The mounts that came with mine are made of plastic and are shaped like a V. On the opened end of the V are two screw holes and then you have a half moon or I should say a "piece that looks like a C" that goes on the other side of the handle bar and fits up against the V part and then you put the screws or allen head bolts through to clamp the mount on.

The thing was......when you put the mounts on and got the hand guards centered up to where they covered your hands and then you got the front brake where you wanted it ......the rubber piece(dust shield) that covers your front brake at the pivot would be in the way. I had the sand the mount on the parallel part of the mounting bracket so the dust shield would not be in the way. With out doing this the front brake lever wouldn't move freely. I tried positioning the front brake lever futher in and out on the handle bar but it would either be too far down the handle bar(toward the end of the grip) to where you couldn't get to the lever or far up the bar (towards the pad) to where you could only grab the last part of the lever(like the ball).

By sanding this section down on the mounting bracket made it weak so need less to say.....when I fell over this weak sanded part broke.

You want a hand guard that has a good mounting bracket. I went with the Outlaw Hand guards and the mounting bracket on these were straight and clamped on the bars and are flexible so if you turn or fall over they have lots of give and wont break.

Wait, just drill into the wrap-around?? wouldn't that make it weak??

Not enough to matter in any crash you live through. Just drill and tap for some small machine screws.

I purchased a set of UFO hand guards and love them. They are hard to find, though. I have a friend with the FMF Mashers and they are identical to my UFO guards. Just different sticker on the plastic, and I paid a lot less than he did!

So, no Cycras then? Just razzing you, I used to run Cycras but I put Moose handguards on the wifes bike, I loved them so much I put them on my bike also. The hand lay-out feels more open with the Moose guards vs the Cycras.

Not enough to matter in any crash you live through. Just drill and tap for some small machine screws.

I disagree. I have Moose guards on my GasGas - well, one. The other aluminum bar snapped in half. They have a wraparound plastic piece that is mounted with one small bolt that threads into the aluminum guard. Guess where it broke?

JayC