Sign in to follow this  

Tall knobby for low PSI

anyone know what knobbies can run 5-8 psi safely in a tubeless setup?

Motoz tires?

I have a trials tire in the garage, but I wanna try low psi with a knobby first, so something with a lotta sidewall like a trials tire would be ideal

I've heard the dunlop 739AT works well with down to basically 0 psi, and wont separate the cords inside the tire

I need something that can go below 5psi and not self destruct and separate inside

some of the IT desert tires, or DS tires would be tough enough, but may not have the sidewall flex for the traction you may be after? let us know how the experiment turns out.

I have run the Maxxis IT (NOT Desert) at 6psi with great results. Of course, most of the guys I ride with think I'm crazy running pressure that low. I didn't get pinch flats and it didn't hurt the tire. I think a lot of that has to do with my riding style and my weight (170 w/gear).

that's what I've heard, but they have a real bad rep here, I think because of the clay and whwat it turns into when wet

expensive experiment, I'll decide what tire to try this week, I hope to order a tire this weekend

Motoz's have a little taller sidewall, but not the stiffest sidewall. I've had good luck running 404's and Washougals 6-8.5 PSI with a uhd tube.

I just posted in the other thread, but my first choice would be the Metzler Unicross, with the Pirelli MT16 as a very close 2nd. I regularly run 5-8 psi in the winter, and never more than 10 even in the most rocky conditions. They wear very well, and hook up under all the varied conditions the Northwest has to offer.

I ran 8 psi on a MT16 last weekend. Brand new tire w/ Heavy duty tube. I romped in the rocks. Tire is too tall for me though. raised my seat height. :bonk:

I have never ran a mt16 but ive also never been able to keep knobbies on any pirellies for more than a ride or two

I have never ran a mt16 but ive also never been able to keep knobbies on any pirellies for more than a ride or two

If you are hard on the throttle in very rocky terrain with a 2t 250 or 450 class bike, you will chunk knobs on the MT16..... Funny thing about the MT16 though, it will work just as well chunked as new.

You might want to give the Metzler Unicross a try.

As for the poster regarding seat height, at 10psi it does up the ride height a bit compared to most knobbies, but below 8 the tire squish makes it about the same as most other tires, and the tire really works well in slick conditions at the lower pressures.

I ran 8 psi on a MT16 last weekend. Brand new tire w/ Heavy duty tube. I romped in the rocks. Tire is too tall for me though. raised my seat height. :bonk:

I think the mt16 is an ideal New England terrain tire. It does raise the seat height but it also acts as another shock.

I run then on and off road and they wear square...but I also recall you not being a fan of these particular tires megadeth.

Look into the Terraflex tires. They were designed to be run with pretty low psi even with a tube system. Seems that they get both great and terrible reviews. Had a friend years ago who put a brand new one on his old DR370 and we went for a ride up and down the local mountains. When we got back his tire was wasted. I was astounded that in about 30 miles of mainly rocky trails the tire had disintegrated into junk. I took a closer look at it and it was HARD so I asked him how much air he had in it? He said that he didn't know, he stuck it on and pumped it full till it seated on the rim. I grabbed a tire gauge and it checked out at 60psi!!! This guy was the mechanic at the local Honda dealer. Believe me I didn't have him do ANY work on my bikes! They are supposed to be run at like 4-6psi and are MONSTER tires (the 150x18 versions). I read one comment on the web where a guy said that he had smashed his rim on a rock at high speed and just kept on going without any air in the tube. I think that a lot of the bad reviews are from guys that run them just like their old tires with 12-16psi in them and it is hard on them.

Swiss

I think the mt16 is an ideal New England terrain tire. It does raise the seat height but it also acts as another shock.

I run then on and off road and they wear square...but I also recall you not being a fan of these particular tires megadeth.

Never tried one at under 5psi

I worry most about cords separating inside tire, I've had that happened from running a tire flat

I run it around 6 on my yz without a problem...I don't know about the cords seperating but I can tell you that it is one of the most flexible, soft tires I have used.

I've only used the Moto Z Traculas (awesome tire), so I can't apeak for any of their other tires, but the sidewalls of the Traculas are too soft to run pressures that low. These tires don't like anything less than about 11 psi, they start to get squirmy.

I'm not after a soft tire, I need one that's tough enough to hold up at low psi

the mt43 does that, it's a trials tire but it's got sidewall support

I run my Desert IT at 6 psi , and it does great (but i run a standard HD tube with it , have never tried a Tubeless) , and it has a tall sidewall just like a trials tire , its sidewall seems pretty stout to me , and the lugs seem to hold up fine to the low pressure , in fact the tire grips better at those low pressures than it does at the recommended 12-15 by a long shot , that is how i ended up at 6 psi , and feels very stable at that pressure , not washy at all !

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well, Its not the compound that's soft its the high sidewall and knobby pattern that make it conform to the terrain somewhat like a trials tire. It actually tends to skid like a trials tire under hard braking.