Sign in to follow this  

1999 ktm 200 exc, what to look for?

I've found a 1999 ktm 200 exc for sale thats had a top and bottom rebuild, crank was turned, new bearings, piston, rings, and cylinder work. There's a nice price on the bike but i'm leerie about buying a bike thats soon to be 13 years old. Does anyone know of anything specific to look for in these bikes?

if you found it on craigslist i would keep looking. EVERY bike ad says new top end and rebuild. whats the deal with crank turned. you meen somebody shaved off metal from where the seal goes ? certainly nobodies stupid enough to shave metal from where the bearing will be but most likely someone out there is that dumb. turn a crank is usually what they do to automobile cranks. seller is probly a tard and doesnt know anything like 99% of the other people on craiglist

This may not be the answer your looking for but,I would recommend buying a 00+ or better yet 04+ they have the larger forks(Inverted of course) and updated plastic.

They are cheap $1,500-2000 and you will be getting more bang for your buck,don't be afraid of buying an Ex-race bike,generally they are better maintained then "jim-bos" weekend ride.Remember,the racer has to maintain his bike to be able to be competitve and be able to finish. The main things that ex-race bikes need is cosmetics and tires!

Hope this helps!

If the seller has documentation from a reputable machine shop for the work that was performed, then it's safe to assume that the work was actually done. How many hours are on the engine since then is anyone's guess.

No paperwork=I don't believe anything.