Sign in to follow this  

2008 rmz450 trouble starting...

Hey guys, i recently bought an 08 450 with the motor apart because of loss in compression. i rebuilt the top end and the bike doesnt like to start. when its at TDC (l lightly kick the motor over until its at the tightest spot then give it a good kick) it will fire right up, but only at TDC. when its running, it runs excellent. valves are all in spec. ive pulled the cams twice and rechecked my timing. still doesnt like to start...i need help! lol thanks

Yea I noticed that on another thread, but it still only likes TDC when hot too.

All 4 strokes like TDC for good starting. As long as your valve train is setup properly, it has good spark,fuel and all the EFI is working correctly-it should be OK

At least I'm not the only one, I have to kick the crappoollllaaaa outta the thing when its cold, once its warm, eeaazzyyy peeezzzee

At least I'm not the only one, I have to kick the crappoollllaaaa outta the thing when its cold, once its warm, eeaazzyyy peeezzzee

Sounds like you have a bad sensor. get the EFI light from suzuki or have a dealer hook one up-it will flash codes and tell you whatever is wrong. My bike takes 2-3 kicks when cold. If you have to constantly kick it when cold-something is off. Reason I say bad sensor-bike will run like normal,but the ECM goes into a "default setting" if one sensor is not working properly. That means bike will work fine once it is in that default range. Example-the engine temp sensor will go to 176 deg F if the engine temps sensor fails. Bike will still run,but if the engine is 100 deg F or 250 deg F the ECU will NOT compensate and adjust jetting correctly. This will then make the bike run crappy-or possibly not start. The EFI light is like $40,plugs in and all the light flash codes are in the manual-very easy to use and makes troubleshooting simple.

Good info, thanks. It will fire on the 2-3 kick always when cold, then run for 1/2 seconds then die. It takes a perfectly timed throttle blip to get it running.

Yes-that is the EFI light. Firing up on 2-3 kicks sounds OK,but giving it a bit of throttle shouldn't do anything. It sounds like an air sensor issue. My other guess would be the TPS,but you would have issues while riding if it were that.

its runs pretty good once I get it lit, I checked with my local shop and he has a light so I'll have him check it out.

The throttle blip is while its barely running, it will fire in 2/3 kicks, but almost never stay running...