Sign in to follow this  

WWyou do? WR and YZ combined...

Howdy,

If you had a 1994 YZ250 and a 1994 WR250, both in good condition, and you ride tight nasty trails and FS roads, what would you take from one bike and add to the other?

I did have a 94 yz and 94 wr at one time I dual sported the wr and had that for a playbike and for hare scrambles and left the yz setup for mx wouldn't change a thing on the intent of the bikes from one to the other but modified each one for their intended purpose.

of course the yz is outdated as an mx bike now....but unless you cannabilize one as a spare for the other I see no purpose of swapping parts .... the big tank,soft suspension and wide ratio always made me feel more comfortable on the trail while being an issue on the track for the wr and the feeling was mutual yet opposite for the yz

not to say I didnt take one out for its unintended purpose if the one I wanted was down for maintenance

To be more specific, I don't want to cannibalize either, just build one to my liking, and have the other in good operating conditon as a buddy/back up bike. Right now I'm leaning toward focusing my efforts toward the WR basicaly because the frame is in better condition, and I like the wide ratio more.

1. Thoughts on putting the YZ jug on the WR?

2. Suspension wise, the WR is labled as "more plush", but why is it plusher than the YZ? (bushings? spring rate? valving?)

Thanks

Aside from the lighting coil , w/r gear box and the carburator,intake the engines are the same ,no purpose other than to use the one in best shape or the one that due to manufacturing tolerances fit better(port hieght,squish band ,compression ratio etc).

the valving is different in the forks and shocks, dont remember if the spring rates where different, aside from that and the tank/seat and a kickstand they are virtually the same bike.

if you never used more than a 1/2 tank on a trail ride the yz seat /tank combo allows you to move around more on the bike

oh the flatside carb on the bike you want to use the most is probably a good idea, change the intake and the fresh air plenum also for a better fit

Thanks for the info.

My plan, as of today, is to put the goodies on the WR and have the YZ as a solid buddy bike/ dune-bike.

YZ rads are in better condition, move those to the WR (both sets are functional).

I'm gonna take the full intake/exhaust from the YZ too (recent mods to make the YZ a trail bike): PWK Air Striker, Boyseen super stocker reeds, Gnarly pipe swap to the WR.

The WR has a Fatty on it, and some aftermarket reeds that'll go to the YZ. I will likely get another PWK Air Striker for the YZ since I'm so impressed with the last one.

The Dynaring auto-clutch will go in the WR, YZ back to a stock clutch.

YZ desert tank and seat on both.

As for the shock and fork, I need to rebuild the WR set first, then after that I can decide which set I want on the WR. I currently like the YZ suspension on the trail (previous owner had some work done to them) but I want to try out the WR suspension before I change anything.

oops I did forget that the right side radiator should be little bit different as the radiators are spaced out on the wr if I remember correctly it should be no big deal.