Sign in to follow this  

Metal cover for plastic brake cylinder

I rebuilt my caliper today on my 91 250, and a paper thin metal cover/heat shield that appears to have once snapped onto the cylinder fell out. It stayed on enough to put the new pads in which holds it in place, but didnt know where i could get one if needed. I dont see it on the fiche so is it part of the cylinder? Any experience with this?

yeah not sure where you would find those, i think they function as wear/movement protection, you may be able to make one youself out of a small sheet of aluminum/tin.... did you loose yours?

I didnt lose it, but it was a balancing act to get it stuck b/t the cylinder and pad, so im assuming it will jar out one of these days. Ive yet to rebuild the front so i dont know if both are there either

yeah they are tricky to get back in, but i believe if im thinking of the same peice, it has tabs which prevent it from coming out, the only way it think it can is if the pads move forward enough, or fall out....lol all i remember was it was a struggle to get back in, haven't lost mine yet though

Yeah theres a thin slit in the piston that holds it, but after 20 years it lost its ability. I guess ill just run it till she falls out. This bike is all original and still ripping, so hopefully itll hold out