Sign in to follow this  

DR200 Won't Start When Cold

My DR200 runs great, the only problem is it won't start when it's cold (ambient temp below 55 degrees). If I'm able to turn it over enough (30 seconds or so), it will eventually start, but the only way to do that is to push start it down a long enough hill, or jump it from a car battery. This is after I had it serviced at the local Suzuki dealer, where they replaced the carb needle and seat, cleaned the jets, adjusted the carb, replaced the spark plug, checked the valves, cleaned and lubed the air filter, etc. I hope there's a solution to this, because the bike is basically useless in its current condition until the weather warms up in Spring.

-Dave

Does it sit for days between running - I have had a little... better luck turning the petcock to prime for 10-20 sconds before hitting the starter button - it still cranks for 10-15 seconds. maybe it needs a primer bulb like my weedeater?

On our 200's I'll lay the bike over till gas comes out the over flow tube, then they start right up.

I checked the spark plug (which was supposed to be replaced by the Suzuki dealer, but wasn't) and found that the gap was pretty far out of spec. It's supposed to be between .24 and .28, but it was more like .18. After I adjusted it to the correct spec, the engine started up immediately. I replaced it with a new plug, set the correct gap, and now it starts right away every time, hot or cold.