Sign in to follow this  

Washington Jeffs Geo

I see this guys ads on CL all the time and am wondering if any of you have had any dealings with him. The guy seems to be something of a savant when it comes to Geos. I'm curious because my fuel bill is $600 a month and I've decided it's time to park the truck and buy a commuter. I'm kinda undecided about buying something brand new like a Kia with the 100,000 mile warranty,or skimp and spend $3500 on a 50+ mpg Geo from Jeff. Any feedback you guys can give me would be appriciated.

Haha not an option. My commute is 50 miles from the mountains to the south sound. It was in the low to mid 20s almost every day last week when I left for work. Is rock that though,if conditions permitted.

What year and model Geo? I had a 1995 Geo Metro 2 door hatchback. It was a 3 speed auto and a 1.3l 4 cyl (the big motor:smirk:), and it only got 30 mpg. If it had a five speed, it might have gotten better mpg. I sold it about a year ago for 1500 buckeroos, so 3500 sounds like a ripoff to me. But you're in a different part of the country, so prices will vary.

If I were you, I would go with the Kia( which says a lot, because I hate Kia).

Reason #1

The Geo is soooo cheap. I leaned against mine once, and put a good sized dent in the quarter panel( I only weigh 160 lbs). Something made that cheap can't be too safe.

At least the Kia won't disintegrate around you while driving it.

Reason #2

That sellers price seams too high to me.

Reason #3

The Kia has a warrantee.

The Geo(if a Metro), however, will provide you with lots of memories.

For instance, your first experience getting blown off the interstate by a trucker will be one to remember.

I also set the interstate on fire with mine...twice. Ah the menories!....

Bought one of those $7888 hyundai accents new , 36-38mpg for 90k no problems. Nothing fancy but make my commute.

What year and model Geo? I had a 1995 Geo Metro 2 door hatchback. It was a 3 speed auto and a 1.3l 4 cyl (the big motor:smirk:), and it only got 30 mpg. If it had a five speed, it might have gotten better mpg. I sold it about a year ago for 1500 buckeroos, so 3500 sounds like a ripoff to me. But you're in a different part of the country, so prices will vary.

If I were you, I would go with the Kia( which says a lot, because I hate Kia).

Reason #1

The Geo is soooo cheap. I leaned against mine once, and put a good sized dent in the quarter panel( I only weigh 160 lbs). Something made that cheap can't be too safe.

At least the Kia won't disintegrate around you while driving it.

Reason #2

That sellers price seams too high to me.

Reason #3

The Kia has a warrantee.

For instance, your first experience getting blown off the interstate by a trucker will be one to remember.

He does a very thorough rebuild to the cars before selling them,hence the $3500 price. From what I have gathered its just a flat $3500 too,regardless of the year or model. For like $1050 I think he will rebuild your motor,top and bottom,with mods(I think),and supply a video of him doing all the work. Luckily,my commute only takes me down about 2 miles of 512,so big rigs shouldn't be a problem. Elk are a far bigger concern for me. Right now I'm leaning toward the Kia/Hyundai route,because I could make the car and insurance payments,and still save money every month,plus the warranty is hard to ignore.

He does a very thorough rebuild to the cars before selling them,hence the $3500 price. From what I have gathered its just a flat $3500 too,regardless of the year or model. For like $1050 I think he will rebuild your motor,top and bottom,with mods(I think),and supply a video of him doing all the work. Luckily,my commute only takes me down about 2 miles of 512,so big rigs shouldn't be a problem. Elk are a far bigger concern for me. Right now I'm leaning toward the Kia/Hyundai route,because I could make the car and insurance payments,and still save money every month,plus the warranty is hard to ignore.

Thats cool. I would still feel safer in a newer Hyundai or Kia. There probably aren't many cars that will stand up to elk though.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.:bonk:

I have pretty good memories of a busty blonde in the backseat of a Metro.:bonk:

New Mazda 3. Start at $15K, good handling, 40mpg, decent warranty. If they're anything like the last couple gens, they're bulletproof, too.

Will hold value way better than that Huyndai/Kia.

New Mazda 3. Start at $15K, good handling, 40mpg, decent warranty. If they're anything like the last couple gens, they're bulletproof, too.

Will hold value way better than that Huyndai/Kia.

Funny you should mention that,because I actually had a Mazda3 5 door back in 04 when they came out. I really enjoyed it too,but it's not practical for this application. I say that because it was hands down the worst front wheel drive car I've ever driven in the snow. I got passed going up hills by Hondas,and that's no exaggeration. I'm sure the culprit was the wide low profile tires that came on it,and might not be an issue if I were to buy an "i" model with the smaller wheels. I've not priced a 3 lately either,but I'm sure the price must be over 10k for a new "i",and that's a far cry from a $3500 metro or even a $7800 Hyundai.

The key to making ANY car work in the snow is the right tires. I've got a RWD 3 Series that goes great in the snow with some Michelin PA3s on it.

That being said, that's yet another cost when OP was talking about cheap commuters.

I have pretty good memories of a busty blonde in the backseat of a Metro.:bonk:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!! :smirk: