Sign in to follow this  

fork seals

Hi, im replacing the fork seals on my 03' cr450 and was hoping someone could help with my question. The seals are replaced and i am ready to put everything back together. I didnt disassemble the inner fork. The only thing i did was drain a little fluid out of the two vent holes and the shop manual said if i didnt have compressed air to remove the small little screw on top of the inner tube and drain upside down for ten minutes, i did this process. Just a few drops came out. Does this mean i drained all the fluid from the inner fork and i have to take it apart and fill with the 6oz it requires? Or does that not lead to the inner fork fluid and i would just fill the outer tubes with 14oz each? Thanks so much for looking at my question guys.

While you still got it partially apart? Just take the inner/upper fork apart!! No special tools needed. Just turn the centre rectangular nut and hold the outer large nut with your wrench. Once it is loos you can slowly wiggle and pull the inner fork cap and valve assembly out. Then you can drain all the fluid out and clean. Then refill and reasemble etc..

This video should help? Its a three part and it is easy to follow along and has a decent explanation etc. Hope this helps you out. I just went through this myself etc.

you didnt drain the inner cartridge. But more than likely that fluid needs to be changed. it is where all the valving is on the forks. The outer fluid is for bottoming and lubrication.

you didnt drain the inner cartridge. But more than likely that fluid needs to be changed. it is where all the valving is on the forks. The outer fluid is for bottoming and lubrication.

Agreed! I would strongly recommend going ahead and replacing the oil in the inner chambers as well. Make sure that you bleed them well too!

Cool thanks guys, ya i'l change the inner fluid as long as i have it apart and that video was excellent, a big help. I appreciate your time guys.

Anybody notice that when he was draining the oil off the outer chamber he had oil running out the relief holes outside the pan onto the ground? :awww::banana:

Helpful tip: when draining off the outer chamber oil, only lower the outer tube as far as about an inch below the inner chamber over fill drain holes. That way you dont dump that nasty ass fork oil on the ground. Especially if you happened to have some of DaveJ's older version fork oil in there that smells like ass :busted:

Turn the inner chamber oil holes down, so any oil up there drains off at the same time as the outer comes out.

Cleanliness=nice. :bonk:

Shoulda seen the mess I made the first time I did it :smirk: