Sign in to follow this  

Washington Great to see WA. plates up here!

Great to see some Washingtion plates up here today at Vedder Mountain, in BC! Come on up and ride guys...we have some great areas to ride. Cheers!

Hey macflow, since you seem to be local to that area, maybe you can clear some things up for me about riding in B.C.

My brother and I headed up to Vedder for the first time this past July or August, and we ended up having a pretty miserable time. Toward the end of the ride, though, we found some really cool trails that have me thinking maybe this coming summer I'll give it another shot--especially considering how close to it I am living in Bellingham.

I think most of what ruined our day is that we were pretty much lost the whole time. I scoured the internet pretty well looking for a decent trail map of the park, but it seems that acquiring such a thing is impossible without buying a $45 BCORMA Trail Pass. Now, I'm all for financially or otherwise supporting the riding areas that I use, but that's almost as much as I spend per year on ORV tabs and Discover Pass combined to ride the whole year down in Washington. I hesitate spending that on a place I might ride once or twice and then decide I don't like it. So it just seems silly that guests to Vedder have no way of getting a map to show them where the hell to ride!

As a result, we ended up unwittingly wandering onto some downright awful trails that might not have been an accurate depiction of how great Vedder can be (just theorizing there...).

We also were a little bit disappointed in the parking situation. We parked at the "parking lot" closest to the water park, and couldn't believe what we were seeing. Not a whole lot of room to park and unload, no bathroom, no signage to tell you you're at the right spot, and mountains of garbage dumped everywhere.

There's apparently another parking lot on the other side of the mountain that sounds a lot nicer. Unfortunately, from BCORMA's website:

Directions from Vancouver / Sumas WA to West side parking (above Yarrow):

Head east on Hwy 1, take Exit 99 to Rest Area, turn right at stop sign, drive approx 1 km & turn left onto Campbell Road. Drive approx 7 km, go straight at 4-way stop sign, road has sharp corner at bottom of mountain, go along bottom of mountain 1/2 km, turn right on Old Yale Road uphill, watch for trains at crossing, approx 1/2 km there is a gravel road on the right-hand side (with concrete blocks stacked on both sides). Head up gravel road 1/2 km to motorcycle parking area, park along sides of road. DO NOT RIDE OR PARK IN PIT AREA, THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY SO PLEASE RESPECT IT. Ride up the FSR for 5 km, avoid the Horse trails. Hang-glider lookout above, great views of the Fraser Valley, right to the Pacific Ocean on a clear day.

Note: RCMP FSR patrol is active for 2010 riding season, and will be spot checking all OHVs travelling on FSRs in the Fraser Valley (and across BC) for proof of 3 legal requirements to ride on FSRs in BC:

1. 3rd party liability insurance (comes with BCORMA Platinum Insured Trail Pass - see Trail Pass tab on home page). Fines start at $345 for no liability insurance only.

2. driver's license (Class 5 or car only OK). Yes, this means children under 16 or without drivers license cannot legally ride FSRs currently. Fine amount unknown.

Emphasis mine. So sounds like this parking lot is out of the question without either risking a $345 ticket or ponying up for a $60 platinum Trail Pass.

The last thing I was disappointed with on our trip there was a complete lack of good views! You'd think with a hill that steep right next to a beautiful lake like that you'd be able to get some decent views up high, but I came home without a single good picture on the camera. Never found a single spot where there was a break in the trees that allowed for a decent view.

So I'd like to give Vedder another shot this summer and bring the rest of my usual riding crew along. Hopefully we can have a better time this go-around, which is where maybe you (macflow or any other locals up there) can be of some assistance:

1.) Any better recommendations when it comes to parking?

2.) Is there any way to buy just a map for some amount less than $45?

3.) Failing that, any recommendations for good trails to hit for a fun day? Maybe some faster, flowing stuff and some single track that wouldn't be too tough for a relative noob? Nice views a bonus. I found this map here, so at least I have trail numbers, but without a legend to tell me what the various color lines and shaded areas mean, it's largely worthless.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips you could offer.

If you want someone to show you around Vedder, I'll show you. The maps are pretty useless of that mountain. Also, the trail markers are pretty small and hard to see. I bought the BCORMA trail pass as I ride up there quite a bit. Just let me know when you are thinking of going up.

Cool, thanks for the offer. Probably won't be until late spring/early summer, so I'll try to dig this thread up.

Is it worth getting a pass and riding up there a lot? My impression from that one ride I had up there is that it doesn't offer anything that Walker doesn't, and that Tahuya and Taneum are worth the extra drive time over heading north. Am I wrong?

this thread was 3 years old.

How do you figure? Looking at date by OP, shows this month???

Exactly, haha, Ride was trying too hard to be a smartass this time, hahaha:moon:

Exactly, haha, Ride was trying too hard to be a smartass this time, hahaha:moon:

I am only asking as I am currently high on cold medicine dealing with a class full of unruly 5th graders so my mental sanity is highly questionable at this time.

Looked at the Vedder website...looks like there are a lot of trails up there but unsure how much of that is for MX?

My bad, saw the join date of a member not the post date. Sorry.

dealing with a class full of unruly 5th graders so my mental sanity is highly questionable at this time.

Looks like you're dealing with them like I deal with my wife. Get on the web and tune that shit out!

Looks like you're dealing with them like I deal with my wife. Get on the web and tune that shit out!

My own 2 kids a few weeks before xmas is tough but a whole class a few weeks before xmas is a love/hate relationship. Love the time off...hate the week prior to it.

and I hope to get some riding in....there, semi back on track

Ha ha...Mike, you're killing me here. A room full of 5th graders, the week before their Christmas break. Never occurred to me what a nightmare that could be.

And Kelly - get with the f*cking program!

Ha ha ha...

And Kelly - get with the f*cking program!

Ha ha ha...

that's what I get for buying the cheap helmets. :bonk:

• Like 1