Sign in to follow this  

81 xt250: Fixing Previous Owner's re-wire...

This is my second post, and thanks to all the good advice I got in my first post. I am new to motorcycles, etc. although I know my way around cars, so I am definitely looking for DIY help (and apologies if the questions illustrate my lack of knowledge).

I bought this bike from a guy (who had the title) who bought from another guy who had lost the key. Could have been several owners prior... Anyway, someone in the past made it so that it runs without the key. Well, I took the ignition key cylinder to a locksmith and had a key made for $18, but now I need to know how to go about restoring the original wiring so that when I ride to work, it won't be start-able without the key (not that anyone would want to steal it).

What I'd like to know first is; how would someone bypass the ignition switch on this bike? I have the electrical diagram, but there's been enough monkeying around that I'm not entirely sure where to start and understanding how someone might have done it would help.

Thanks

P.S. I've seen from searching around that people are hesitant to post instructions for hotwiring on public forums, so you can PM me if need be.

a manual witha wiring schematic would be the way to go , genarally speaking the ignition switch is actually 2 switches ..... the ignition switch is normally closed completing the circuit of grounding out the coil to kill spark while at the same time the second half of he switch is normally open breaking the circuit keeping the lights off

when you turn the switch it disconnects the ground on the coil allowing it to run while connecting the lights allowing them to come on and ohm meter , the schemetic a soldering iron and some shrink tubing with some time studying and figuring out how to read the schemetic andf you should be good to go

Since you already removed the key switch, poke around to see if there's any wires with matching colors that have been cut and spliced into other wires. Like jsantapau said, they're pretty simple circuits.

There's a possibility that the PO simply disconnected a magic wire and re-routed it to a kill switch. My XT has one, pop the seat, disconnect the magic wire and the bike will run - scary but true.

However, I know that your bike doesn't use the same CDI as mine, so it may not even be possible.

I have a pdf file for an owners manual for an XT225 with a wiring diagram in it. Should be close to the same. PM me with your email address and I can email it to you.

Solved: Advice was spot on. Without specific help, I just went through the ignition circuit using the electrical diagram in the Clymer manual with an ohm meter. As I kept finding everything working as it should, I worked my way from the CDI and the kill switch to the ignition switch. It turns out that on the wiring harness from the ignition switch, before the first connector, the PO had cut the B/W wire, and spliced together the Red and Brown wire, fooling the system into always seeing the ignition switch as "On." Getting the soldering gun and shrink tubing out. Very straightforward now. Thanks for help and encouragement.

Glad to hear it. I had one where thieves simply ripped the plastic connectors off the harness and randomly started connecting wires together. The cops found it and gave it back to the owner who sold it to me years later. I never did get that bike to run. I lucked out and sold it at cost which surprised me more than anything.