Sign in to follow this  

trail jumps need help

hey guys ive been riding since i was 14 im now 25

and had a bad crash when i was 18 that put me in hospital unconscious for 5 days and 7 bones broken ,

i could jump all day long with out a problem or hesitation no matter

how big the jumps were

after the accident i stoped riding for 2 years but since then

i havent been able to jump anything bigger then 10 to 15ft

of a jump with only a 1 meter high face , hiting it 4th gear band with out a problem or hesitation

the problem im having is i just cant seem to get the balls up

to jump anything bigger

i keep finding my self making excuse's like that i have to work monday need to take it easy but ive honestly had a gut full and just feel like a girl

i never used to be scared of anything i would just line it up and just hit the jump

but now anything bigger then a 1 or 2 meter face jump i get scared of hiting it up

is this just because im older now and have responsibility's ?

i just dont know what to do i feel like such a soft C#ck now

just looking for some advice to get back on my game

all my mate's now give me shit cause of it , yet i used to be the one who would jump anything and everything 1st up and they would be the one's go'ing f that your crazy

i just cant seem to get over what ever is holding me back , and jumping is the only thing affecting me in progressing

Who cares what your mates think? I used to ride crazy fast on the streets on my sport bike. I liked the fast turns where you get your knee down. Then I washed out going around 70mph, slid down the road maybe 30 yards before slamming into a bank, and watched my bike land next to me totaled after flipping in through the sky hitting a tree 9 feet in the air. The only damage to me was a sore back for a few days, but I realized how easily there could have been a car coming the other direction, I could have hit the culvert I stopped right next to, or my bike could have landed on me. All could have meant the death of me, or left me paralyzed. That woke me up and got rid of the "I don't give a F" attitude I had. Everyone's got to decide for themselves how much of a risk they're willing to take to have fun. I found my limit.

I know how you feel. Once your body is beat and abused fear is the issue.

If you have fear you might chop the throttle or preload wrong. If you have fear or that sick feeling in your gut that's your mind thinking about crashing. You'll be like a dear in your headlight...

Only ride within your limits your mind sets. Then find a nice easy jump and ride it repeatedly, jumping further until you get that feeling. Repeat the jump at your max comfort level and without fear. You either need to stay within your limits or very slowly increase your comfort zone by retraining your mind if possible....

I stay on the ground as much as possible because my body is train wreck that stayed on the tracks and is coasting downhill.

You had a serious accident that probably makes that fear a life saver.

I push my limits on the ground which I know I shouldn't do but still can without fear. Besides my brain has been sloshed too many times to know better. I'm still about 26 years old the doctors say.... I'm lost in time from the concussions and brain damage that happened way back when. :bonk:

Edited by TNTsXLR

and had a bad crash when i was 18 that put me in hospital unconscious for 5 days and 7 bones broken ,

how big the jumps were

of a jump with only a 1 meter high face , hiting it 4th gear band with out a problem or hesitation

to jump anything bigger

i keep finding my self making excuse's like that i have to work monday need to take it easy but ive honestly had a gut full and just feel like a girl

i never used to be scared of anything i would just line it up and just hit the jump

but now anything bigger then a 1 or 2 meter face jump i get scared of hiting it up

all my mate's now give me shit cause of it , yet i used to be the one who would jump anything and everything 1st up and they would be the one's go'ing f that your crazy

i just cant seem to get over what ever is holding me back , and jumping is the only thing affecting me in progressing

Its not how far you can jump its how good you can land, looks like your mates want to see you get hurt again, ride smart so you can ride tomorrow.

It's called "you are no longer a stupid kid!", as we gain years we start to realize that we in fact are not indestructible.

survival instinct

and now your brain is attached to the rest of your body

I crashed real bad and stopped riding back in 1976. Here it is 2011 and I am back at it trying to get my balls back. You appear to be now learning what the difference is between brains and balls. Follow your brains and keep riding. My brain is now back at work on an old 73 Suzi ts185 an I am lovin it.

oldestbones.

thanks for the input guys has made me feel alot better now like there's nothing wrong with my head

as said above im riding with in my comfort zone and limits

ive always noticed if im scared and get the fear that is genaraly when i make mistakes and get hurt as im not focused on what i need to actual do. to what my body wants to do witch is get me the f off this thing

i guess im just going to have to come to terms with that the accident has affected me

and now i have a 2 year old daughter to care for as well

that crash broke my leg in 3 places , busted my knee , ankle in 2 place's,2 bottom rib's , my elbow and poped the bone out, my hand witch now has pins and plates , collar bone , 3 fingers , eye socket unconscious on support for 5 days

circumstance's was jumping to big

120ft table top just built with my mates dozer went for the 1st jump take off felt great was all level'd up

i looked down to plan for my landing , wind caught me pushed me to the left of the dirt landing ramp

pretty much flat landed , and that's all i could remember

my mate troy said as ive hit my suspension fully decompressed and slammed my head into the bars and flipped me up over the bars straight into a tree , by the time they got there i was not breathing and completely unresponsive , called the ambo's and they couched michael through doing cpr till they arrived, they got me breathing again just before the ambo's arrived ,

was in serious condition i was air lifted straight to bunderburg hospital

woke up 5 days later could not remember the last 6 months of my life , also had brain swelling

it took me 6 weeks to start getting flash backs while i was asleep in dream's then after about 13 weeks i started remembering alot more things but roughly a year to remember everything completely .

i sold all my bike's except my yz490 as it has center-mental value and swore id never ride again 2 years later here i am rideing again

and facing problems i thought id never have before the accident , i am grateful to be alive and still able to ride , its just that now when im riding i feel as thou apart of me is missing and i just dont have that fearlessness anymore and cant seem to push my self

none of my mates have experienced anything like this, and me just being me i dont like to talk about it as i see it as a weak point ,

i just want to be able to ride and enjoy it like i used to with out the ghosts haunting of my past when i ride telln me to slow down im 25 and thats still young

i love this sport

is it just my time to seddle down im just finding it hard to come to terms with , and makes it even harder when the ppl i ride with now look down on me

im thinking maybe i should try and find some new friends to ride with even thou ive rode with these guy's my whole life and 2 of them saved my life , mick and troy do kind of understand but still jump on the band wagon

and btw i do still at times wake up from reliving the accident and have no idea where i am for 5 minutes have to get the gf to turn the light on so i can see ,

as weird as it sounds i hate waking up in the dark cause i dont know if im awake ,

i just hate the feeling of nothing ill be 110% honest it scares the shit out of me

i appreciate everything that has been said above maybe i just need more time , or maybe i just need to relearn how to enjoy just riding again at this level

Edited by xDCxSMOKE
added

how big the jumps were

to jump anything bigger

Sounds to me like you gained some things in that crash. It is called experience as well as the knowledge that you are not in fact invincible. Give your mates the finger and enjoy your own ride!

Sounds to me like you gained some things in that crash. It is called experience as well as the knowledge that you are not in fact invincible. Give your mates the finger and enjoy your own ride!

i agrea i have learnt alot from it and it has changed the person i am completely

gave me a whole new prespective on how fragil life is and how fast it can be taken away from you from such a mistake

my daughter would never have been born my gf would never of known me

an would most likely still be with the woman bashing f whit excause my french

dont get me wrong i do look at it as a positive that i came off in some aspects

just finding it hard to wrap my head around that i just cant do what i used to do , makes me feel old like im 80 heading for retirement

i find it hard to understand how the pro's come off just as bad as i have if not worse and continue to be just as aggressive

thou they probley have a few less brain cell's then i have lol

maybe it is just time for me to give it up and keep the memories , the gf has been trying to get me to for awile now as every time i go out she is worry'd, i am in a fair bit of pain when i ride the knee's dont like it to much but its baraeble for the pleasure .

im really starting to think of giving it away for a few years and hopefully my daughter or son will take up motox witch would make me just as happy as ridieng

or maybe not give it up completely , maybe just down grade off the 2t's and buy an old XR or something just to cruise around the trails

ThEre's nothing wrong with you. Just glad your still here and able to be sharing ur story.

Themost important part is to be here for ur fam. Who cares about the useto coulds!

Are you still doing what you love? "Riding" there you go bro!!!

Who knows, as you ride more you may find yourself going bigger, hopefully not too big. God bless. Tony

I ride to please myself. That's what it's really about. It's the sucker that lets their friends talk them into riding over his head.

• Like 1

The Pros have a different reason for coming back. You ride for fun and they make their living at it.

No offense, but if your friends look down on you for riding a little more cautiously after a wreck like that, you need new friends. You're lucky to be riding at all! They're lucky you're still WILLING to ride after that.

I ride with a couple of guys who are way faster than I am. I ride within my comfort level (not stupid fast, but not slow by any means), and they blast ahead. Every few miles, they'll stop and wait for me. I had one guy tell me he actually enjoyed it, because it gives him time to catch his breath and he's able to push harder for the next few miles than he normally would. It also gives him a minute to think about the terrain, what he's doing right, what he's doing wrong, etc. They definitely don't look down on me because I ride a little slower.

• Like 1

You have a Daughter, with that comes responsibilities. We all have what is called an Elaphant brain, its the part of the brain that retains all the old actions of our lives and from that we learn and live. Respect the sport don't fear it. Stay within your limits and you will watch your daughter go off to college. If not for fear we wouldn't know when to stop.

• Like 1

and now i have a 2 year old daughter to care for as well

I think you just found some of your reason that self preservation is kicking in. Your daughter needs a father. She needs someone to help her with homework, someone to be cleaning the gun when the first boy comes to take her out, see her graduate from school, etc, etc. Riding is fun - family comes first. If you are lucky, you can even get her a bike and teach her how to love your sport! - BUT YOU GOTTA BE ALIVE TO DO IT. :bonk::smirk:

Riding is all about having fun. Unless riding is your job, what reason is there to do anything that you are not ENJOYING?????? If you have fun jumping and want to push yourself, fine. If its not fun, why risk the injury?

Sounds like you had a crash bad enough that your friends should be happy you are even still around to ride with them, not ragging on you for growing up. If they won't be supportive, get new riding buddies.

Big air means big crashes, as you found out. You have a family. A big crash like the one you had may mean death, paralyzed in a wheelchair, permanent loss of use of a limb, etc..... How would that affect the rest of your daughter's life? And thats not even counting the hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills, which would probably ruin your credit, unless you have tons of $ laying around.

Bottom line, you are growing up, riding smart, and having FUN, which is what it's all about. Keep it up. Don't push yourself and get hurt again.

I am glad you have recovered enough to want to get back and try things again. Sounds like you are lucky to be alive, and have learned a bit from the experience.

I am 41 years old and have not been on a dirtbike since my late teens. I went for a ride with a freind this summer, and the bug bit me again. I am now the proud owner of a 2008 KLX 450, and I love it.

I have the same mental trepidations that you do when I get near a jump. I remember some of the things that I did as a teen, but my brain just won't let me go through with the action. I consider it a gift, as I am still physically active and strong, but my reactions and skill level are not what they were when I was 17. I am not willing to sacrifice 4 or 5 months of rehab for a couple of seconds of adrenaline any more. Maybe that is sad, but that's life, and probably for the best.

Go out and enjoy yourself, but remember that you are in it for the long haul, and you only get one body, so take care of the damn thing.

Good luck.

wow thanks heap's guys

i think i might just do that this weekend and just go out alone and just enjoy riding,i think i need to just take a step back and remember why is the 1st place i started riding , back then i used to get up, soon as the sun broke out and run out to my bike and kick the crap out of it and ride all day till the sun went down,

did not matter what bike i rode , or my skill level or what i could or could or not do

think its more or less been the pressure of my famaly trying to get me to stop riding what has bought most of this on.

but honestly i dont think i could ever give mx up its in my blood

i only wish i got my crash on video to share

thanks for everyone's support here , has made me realise the whole reason i ride ,

im going to be ditching on my friends an making some new ones to go ride with possible find some older guy's to go out there with who are just going out to ride not showing off and trying to be hero's

who just go out to enjoy a ride

if only we all live'd in the same state so we could set up a get together cause all you guy's on here are top bloke's only wish there was more around in aus

the pain i still feel from my injury's i now see as not a draw back or a "dis advantage" , it make's me feel still alive an keeps my head straight to not get hurt that bad again or worse .

"the pain gets worse in winter with the colder temp's, even before it rains at times cause of the air change and drop in tempreture"

so the question remains would i change anything that happen if i got the chance, honestly right now no way in the world, that accident happen'd for a reason an i would not be who i am now with out it , who knows maybe my duaghter would never have been born, maybe i would have never met my gf, we should be married by now lmao but who needs a piece of paper,

im just happy i can still ride and dress my self every day and be able to play with my kid .

thanks very much guy's i think this is what i really needed is to get it off my chest and talk to some one about it and get my head back on straight,

btw i read every single one of your guys post's on this thread , thanks so much for the support , and helping me out with my problem ,

happy ROOSTING to you all :bonk: