Sign in to follow this  

why are the newer 250f's having problems?

2011's

zooks have problems with trannys

kawi and their rods

Honda and cranks

ktm and efi

Yamaha still carbed and people say its the most reliable

Are the factories making the parts inside cheaper so that the rider wont have to pay to much for the bike? Are they pushing to much hp out of these bikes and making them unreliable? Ive been wanting a newer 250f but dont know if i can justify the buy. however there are some variables to this because if we dont get the real truth from a rider in one of the forums(wasnt checking valves, wasnt changing oil etc.) then their experience isnt really valid. I dont know i may just be worrying for nothing :bonk: I may even pick up a zook

Are they pushing to much hp out of these bikes and making them unreliable?

Yup. Put it this way, if you put the same power-to-displacement into a truck engine, my Toyota Tundra would be making over 900HP.

Guess how long 900HP race engines last.

JayC

the reason why people have problems with 250f's is because they dont have a damn clue what the hell there doing maintenance wise :bonk:

2011's

zooks have problems with trannys

kawi and their rods

Honda and cranks

ktm and efi

Yamaha still carbed and people say its the most reliable

Are the factories making the parts inside cheaper so that the rider wont have to pay to much for the bike? Are they pushing to much hp out of these bikes and making them unreliable? Ive been wanting a newer 250f but dont know if i can justify the buy. however there are some variables to this because if we dont get the real truth from a rider in one of the forums(wasnt checking valves, wasnt changing oil etc.) then their experience isnt really valid. I dont know i may just be worrying for nothing :bonk: I may even pick up a zook

A better question is why don't they have more problems than they do. These engines are approaching 180 hp per liter, a phenomenal output for a stock pump-gas engine. The fact that these engines survive as long as they do without needing rebuilds every few hours is a testament to how well engineered and built they are.

They weren't built to be reliable. They were built to win races in the 250cc four stroke class. They are very good at that. Personally, I don't race, so I would never own one.

Edited by Oic0

Here is my theory. Yes it's mostly owners fault but also just pulling this out of my ass here. The bike manufacturers are not doing as well as they used to be due to economy, earthquake, tsunami, etc. but they still have to develop a bike better than their competitor. They may increase the performance in one area but not have the time or money to see how it affects another part in the engine. So a company may try a different cam profile but not really test how it does to the exhaust system so later customers have problems with their exhaust systems falling off in mid flight. (just an example, no such problem may exist or possibly exist). Well the next year they may use stronger bolts for the exhaust but later they find out the subframe falls off and it continues until the manufacturers can afford to make a whole new design of the bike and thoroughly test it. That's why it is sometimes best to go for a new bike who's design has been out for a while and hasn't changed much.

Yamaha's having problems? LOLOLOLOLOL

Never once had a problem with any of my YZFs. In my experience, people are just idiots with four strokes. More often than not it's the kids moving up from two stroke minis and riding the 4t like a 2t.

ya i only put yamaha the carb because i couldnt think of anything else. Theyre known as the most reliable bike. Although jetting is a pita(im the owner of a carbed honda)

Buy a Zook! Mine has been flawless!

How many hours? no false neutrals? Im just afraid of all these stories of people rebuilding the trannies, talked to a mechanic he said it would be 550 for labor plus the parts, and at that point a top end :bonk: thats quite a bit of money for a 2011

if you read these posts 2-3-4-5-6-9-10 its a good combo = answer to your question.

No denying that zooks have there fair share of tranny issues, hondas and there valves and even kawis throwing the occasional rod. YZF's seem to be pretty reliable at the cost of a slight performance decrease. I'm sure a lot of the blame goes to maintenance of owners though. Only takes one bad experience to have a negative outlook on 4 strokes in general.

A better question is why don't they have more problems than they do. These engines are approaching 180 hp per liter, a phenomenal output for a stock pump-gas engine. The fact that these engines survive as long as they do without needing rebuilds every few hours is a testament to how well engineered and built they are.

I'm with chokey here. Its amazing that these engines handle the abuse they often receive without having too many problems. Yeah 180hp/liter is an amazing accomplishment. How many car engines even have 100hp/liter? Next to none. If they were tamer engines they would last longer but they aren't.

not to hijack a thread or anything but the more I see this topic at the top of the forums the more I worry about the new (to me) 2011 crf250 I will be hopefully receiving in the next few weeks. :smirk:

Surely if the bike is well looked after it will last longer. My 2008 honda had two exhaust valves put in not 4 months ago, 3 years of no movment and no big problems, the few were most likely my fault :bonk: I think the wee bike held well

How many hours? no false neutrals? Im just afraid of all these stories of people rebuilding the trannies, talked to a mechanic he said it would be 550 for labor plus the parts, and at that point a top end :bonk: thats quite a bit of money for a 2011

74 hours. I've had a few mis shifts or false neutrals. But I do also on my dads 08 yzf.

Yamaha's having problems? LOLOLOLOLOL

Never once had a problem with any of my YZFs. In my experience, people are just idiots with four strokes. More often than not it's the kids moving up from two stroke minis and riding the 4t like a 2t.

amen :bonk: i dont see how you could ever have problems with a yamaha, they are so strong and reliable if taken care of, you could toss it down a mountain side and itll still work, great bikes :smirk:

I think allot guys that ride them should be on 450s..They got a bit of torque and are easy to ride..but you put a ham fisted 200 pounder on one,and that thing is gonna squeel like a female sow..I look at them like 125s