Sign in to follow this  

Factory WR250/300

Okay, so here's the fantasy I left the motorcycle show with today:

Yamaha adds a tool to the changer and 20 seconds to the machining of the case so they can load WR gears in the YZ250. They put a bigger stator on the side and add a rectifier to run the lighting from the WR250F, with maybe a little bit heavier flywheel (but interchangeable with the standard YZ FW for the people who want more snap). They put the WR450's 18-in wheel on the back. They do something a little better for trails with the damper tuning. They put a decent skid plate on it (not parts bin, but something they can do well for cheaper than aftermarket). They do like KTM does and label it for closed course racing, no sparky. Then they put it in dealers.

The basic idea is that there have to be some people who would rather ride blue than orange, and Yamaha could make a pretty awesome two-stroke woods bike with parts they already have. People wouldn't have to choose between buying old used bikes and rebuilding them with different parts or buying new bikes and replacing perfectly good parts with different ones. These are all pretty big chunks of change, and Yamaha could make the modded woods bike cost only a little more than the YZ, just by selling people the parts they want in the first place.

Who would buy it?

The part of the package that would really make it work would be a 295 jug, but it's also the part that couldn't readily be achieved from the existing Yamaha parts bin/supply chain. Just boring out the existing cylinder with no additional porting would probably suck. Would be interesting to figure out how to do the porting cost-effectively without dumping money on tooling a new jug.

Ii think that would be a lot of people's dream bike! real ,real pitty that they never developed the yz 2t for enduro after they stopped making the wrz !

For me I'd not buy it. I love a light MX bike to do offroad.

Depends where your off-roading is. This weekend, I was thinking to myself that I could climb the hills I was making with a lot less damage to the trail or wear on my clutch if I had a lower first gear. And then I topped out 5th on the wide-open stuff and was looking for more. The WR gears proposed above would be your light MX bike with more to answer both of those situations.

It woudl be a cool bike, but I dont think a big four factory can do this. Remember, Yamaha and the others are also selling, snow machines, boat motors, cars, and in Kawasaki's case, ships.

California is working on banning gs powered leaf blowers. Could any of these companies risk building a dedicated OFFROAD 2 stroke?

It would be a cool bike, but I dont think a big four factory can do this. Remember, Yamaha and the others are also selling snow machines, boat motors, cars, and in Kawasaki's case, ships.

California is working on banning gas powered leaf blowers. Could any of these companies risk building a dedicated OFFROAD 2 stroke?

KTM and Husky (BMW) both market off-road two-strokes. KTM stopped including sparkies on them, either to trim cost or to support the argument that they are competition-only machines, but the orange-drinkers' argument for why you'd buy one of those instead of a Yamaha is that they come set up for off-road. Yamaha could match the KTMs and be the sole Japanese manufacturer holding onto that ground if it wanted to.

The point wasn't that Yamaha should build a bike nobody can have now, it's that they could build it and save people the trouble and expense of re-engineering the great bike they already do make. Maybe the subtleties of the brands and their appeal are such that KTM can sell it, but the market for a Yamaha version really is only people who already have one or who would always buy a used bike and build it, rather than buy a new one already built. Sure seems that way in this thread.