Sign in to follow this  

new to team blue

So i just picked up a 2006 yz250 last week. I wasnt really looking for a new bike but it was cheap (for my area) so i couldnt resist! Got it for $2400. It already has a gnarly pipe/shorty silencer, clarke oversize tank, new chain/sprockets, fat bar conversion, cycra handguards/bonz mounts, and a asv clutch lever assembly. Its still rocking all the OG plastic and front tire and there was minimal rubbing on the cases. I think it was safe to say it has about 50-60 hours on it. I will be slowly converting it this winter into a trail bike as i dont ride mx at all. So far my plans are:

11oz stealhy FFW (DONE)

scorpion skidplate

enduro engineering rad guards

pro moto kickstand

pirelli xc soft front tire

michelin cc soft rear tire

new plastic

rebuilt fork/shock adjusted for my weight

shorty levers

linkage bearings

throttle tube

upper triple clamp

fmf Q stealth (the shorty is freakin loud!)

brake clevis

fork bleeders

I ride alot of techinical trails and will be racing a few local HS races this year but ive only been riding about 9 months so im kind of a beginner. I spent most of my younger years racing mtn bikes and doing mtn bike trials so the transition has been fairly smooth. Taken the bike out once to a pit to try it out and it rips! Its got all sorts of power but definitely hits earlier/harder on the bottom then my kx250(which is a great trail bike imo). Bike feels very tall in the front but its because of the goofy fat bar adapters, so a new triple clamp is needed.

Anyways just stoked to be on a blue bike and if you have any suggestions/comments id like to hear them!:bonk:

id do the top end for sure, gives you a chance to visually inspect everything once your in there....rod play, reeds, cylinder, plating, powervalves, piston, bearing, also allows you to see if the how the jetting is, for the most part... would give you peace of mind in the summer, wicked find..where you from in bc?

Im in central vancouver island, but will be moving to the interior in the next few months. You bring up a valid point, I know everyone says to do a top end on a used 2t but i dont necessarily buy that. It passed a compression check and it has no bottom end play so im running it as is. My other bike has a unknown amount of hours on it (id guess 200+)and it still passes a comp. check and runs great. The way i see it if it blows im not out any extra $$$ ill just be out a weekend. If i was racing MX or the guy who owned it before me was there would be no question but to go ahead and rebuild the motor. Im just a average trail rider, i think the engine will be happy for awhile yet but hey you never know, i could be completely wrong!

I forgot to add that it also has a vforce3 reed block/cage but i assumed they came stock on these bikes??

I forgot to add that it also has a vforce3 reed block/cage but i assumed they came stock on these bikes??

waste of time and money

The way i see it if it blows im not out any extra $$$ ill just be out a weekend.

If it blows and apart from shattering your piston, scratching the jug the worst would be if the con rod snapped and hammered through the cases. Did not happen to me but a blown engine cost me more than just a weekend.

I found that the V force was extremely hard to jet which may be detrimental to your trail riding, I noticed it plain as day on the track. I think the Rad Valve is a good investment and quality built product but its hard to justify spending that much money. The best bang for your buck IMHO is the stock cage and Boyesen petals after the stockers wear out. Ive been using this set up for a LONG time after wasting my money on the V-FORCE 3 only to sell it 3 weeks later after not being able to jet it crisp enough for my liking. I still have a V Force 3 cage sitting in the garage for another Yz that I bought and sold that I never installed.

My used 09 came with V3 and it jets perfectly down low to up high. When it wears out I will probably go another route. MXA, the Yamaha patron saint of advertising for the most part, says it's mandatory for the YZ. Nah.

My used 09 came with V3 and it jets perfectly down low to up high. When it wears out I will probably go another route. MXA, the Yamaha patron saint of advertising for the most part, says it's mandatory for the YZ. Nah.

Had the V3 also, corners kept chipping, just put stock back in...

The bike came wih the vforce cage already in it and i assumed they were stock in these bikes since there is a new 2011 at the stealership here and its got one too. Ill keep my eyes peeled for a stocker! The jetting is fat on the bottom so hopefully i can dial it in close for now i have some different pilot jets i can try.

Thanks for all the suggestions im a dirtbike newb but i fix heavy equipment for a living so im ok with the hands on stuff

rebuild it biddy. i have a friend who just bought a 94 cr it was already rebuild once. the bike had more than 40 hours. two weeks after he bought it the rings came apart and locked up the motor. he had blisters from walking like to miles in riding boots. he was to stuborn to call anybody

figured id update this thead since ive been slowly adding parts to this thing in order to get it ready to ride. I got the scorpion racing skidplate mounted, as well as the rad guards, put on new rear wheel adjuster blocks, new brake clevis, new grips and throttle tube, and picked up a michelin s12xc front tire. Gonna try to hack a cr250 front fender on it today so i can get out for a big new years ride tomorrow!

As it sits today

050.jpg

049.jpg

046.jpg

What it looked like when i bought it

017.jpg

The subframe was crash damaged before i got it so im on the lookout for a good replacement as well as a new airbox but ill throw it back together and ride it tomorrow hopefully.

Well the cr250 fender worked out mint! Only had to redrill the front holes and it went right on and clears everything.

054.jpg

053.jpg

That bike is an 05 not an 06. Not sure if you know, because you said 2006 in first post...

Bike looks good. Fairly low hour bike.

That bike is an 05 not an 06. Not sure if you know, because you said 2006 in first post...

Bike looks good. Fairly low hour bike.

Yes you are correct, after doing alot of searching here i found that this bike is indeed a 05, which is a major bummer as it doesnt have the better fork and it has the stupid cast in bar mounts on the upper triple clamp. Oh well ill be sticking with this bike for this season anyway its not a big deal to a new rider such as myself

end of new years ride, bike ran good but i think the float level is too high because on steep downhills fuel pours out the vent and the bike wants to bog down and stall. Other then that the rear shock needs to be rebuilt, its lost its charge and is sitting low in its travel so im going to pull it off and have it rebuilt, but not until i go riding again tomorrow:ride: crappy iphone pic

002.jpg

went out for another ride today, had to cut it short as the bike was detonating big time under load with about 1/8-1/4 throttle, which is where im at most of the time when i ride (im slow and i ride pretty technical trails) It doesnt spooge other then a ring around the silencer hole. Also my new michelin s12 rear tire picked up a rock and sent it through my rear fender so ill be ordering a new one this week, along with some jets and a needle.

Pics of the new front plastic and a pic on the trail

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

DH: You indicated you make your living busting knuckles, you can rebuild your own suspension and have the satisfaction of knowing what is done to it and how it works. I do most of my own work and after having suspension that was done by far away places over the years decided to do my own last year. I picked Dave from SPI after doing a lot of reading in the suspension forum. There probably are others out there that will do much of the same in guiding and providing parts but Dave is the only one I have worked with and am very happy with the results. Although my bike has the preferred SSS forks I have read comments from others on the 05 fork he has done or helped do and they are happy with the results. From the 1st email to the last phone call he was very informative and even answered my dumb rookie questions in a polite and concise manner. Give him an email with basic information and questions and see what he comes back with.

dave.johnson@smartperformanceinc.com

Figured i would update this thread. I was going to sell this bike because the front end would wash out around any corner. Turns out the rear shock was in need of a rebuild since there was no nitogen in it, was riding low. Did that and put in all new linkage bearings and shock bearings, and did a major frame cleaning while it was all blown apart. I also added a RG3 upper triple clamp with rubber mounted bar clamps. They really knock down the vibration. Also added a MSR kickstand. I love this bike now! Ive ridden it about 11 times since January and it gets better every time. Ive got a few things left to do like put on the T.M. designs chain guide and roller, get some graphics and new rad shrouds, number plates. Gonna service the forks as well. Might even throw a rekluse autoclutch in it but i want to work on my skills before i take that step.