Sign in to follow this  

marvels mystery oil

does anyone else run marvels in there gas, 2 stroke or 4 stroke? the reason i ask is that i just started replacing 1/4 of my 2 stroke oil with the mmo (32:1 mix so 1oz mmo + 3 oz 2t per gallon of gas), i have noticed an improvement in power since i did this.

also has anyone ever used lucas or any other additive in their tranny cases and has it helped with clutch slip, its not that i cant replace my clutch its that im too lazy to and im looking for other methods that may make it last longer if i cant find one im going to be replacing my clutch anyway

I've never tried it on any of my 2 strokes. I would beware of using it on any 4 stroke motor that shares it's motor oil with the transmission though. Could be a problem for the clutch pates.

Snake oil, LOL, do not waste your money on it. MM was popular (and possibly useful) back in the 50's and 40's.

No way did you get an increase of power. Your bike was faster due to the lighter wallet. If you'd of dyno'd your bike, you'd find it made less power. Run a higher oil to fuel ratio to make more power, just do not sieze it.

Edited by William1

MM is not snake oil, it has clear effects in some applications, but not sure what it does for dirt bikes.

MM is not snake oil, it has clear effects in some applications, but not sure what it does for dirt bikes.

And those effects are? Perceived or Actual?

Snake oil, LOL, do not waste your money on it. MM was popular (and possibly useful) back in the 50's and 40's.

No way did you get an increase of power. Your bike was faster due to the lighter wallet. If you'd of dyno'd your bike, you'd find it made less power. Run a higher oil to fuel ratio to make more power, just do not sieze it.

have you tested your theory with the dyno? i think you are wrong either way im still going to run it because i personally love the stuff and i noticed an improvement(im not gonna dyno a 32 year old bike just to see if it actually does have more power), and there are no ill effects with running marvels in a 4 stroke, i filled the crankcase of a ttr125 with marvels and the bike had no clutch issues ran just the same if not better than it did before the marvels

I am glad you are happy. You asked for information. I gave it to you. Sorry I did not tell you what you wanted to hear. Next time, let people know that.

Just so you know, a gasoline engine burns gasoline. If it is a 2S, it also consumes (does not burn) oil. Adding any oil to the gasoline reduces the amount of fuel the engine can pump in. Less fuel is less power (we will assume for a minute, that you have checked and keep the air/fuel ratio a constant 12.8/1). A 2S makes maximum power at the highest ratio (50:1 Vs. say 50:1) due to the increased percentage of fuel.

It is true, a super thin lubricant like MM will enable an engine to generate more power when used in the trans or crankcase (in a 4S) however, it is such a thin oil and the molecule chains are so short (the gears will 'eat' the oil up in no time flat), that oil related failure is a certainty.

Best of luck.

One theory I have heard on running a higher ratio of oil in a 2 stroke, like 32:1 vs 50:1, is that it helps with ring sealing and bumps up the compression. I'm not convinced that this theory holds any merit though.

I am glad you are happy. You asked for information. I gave it to you. Sorry I did not tell you what you wanted to hear. Next time, let people know that.

Just so you know, a gasoline engine burns gasoline. If it is a 2S, it also consumes (does not burn) oil. Adding any oil to the gasoline reduces the amount of fuel the engine can pump in. Less fuel is less power (we will assume for a minute, that you have checked and keep the air/fuel ratio a constant 12.8/1). A 2S makes maximum power at the highest ratio (50:1 Vs. say 50:1) due to the increased percentage of fuel.

It is true, a super thin lubricant like MM will enable an engine to generate more power when used in the trans or crankcase (in a 4S) however, it is such a thin oil and the molecule chains are so short (the gears will 'eat' the oil up in no time flat), that oil related failure is a certainty.

Best of luck.

Couple things here.

A 2 stroke does not burn oil? Are you saying all the oil spits out the exhaust?

A properly tuned 2 stroke will have cylinder and exhaust temps high enough to burn nearly all the oil.

Highest ratio max power?

Tests have been done showing max power is made around 18:1 with proper jetting, better ring seal.

Ever try to ignite 2S oil? It does vaporize somewhat due to the heat but dues not burn. Hence spooge.

18:1 ratio??? That is huge? I doubt an engine would even run with that much oil in it. 32: is about the stiffest I have seen with most happy between 40:1 and 50+:1

18:1 reduces gasoline big time. Since when was a 2S a diesel? :bonk:

Ring seal has nothing to do with oil, it it does, your rings/barrel are shot. The oil lubricates the crank and barrel, that is all. At least, that is all it is supposed to do.

The butt is a poor dyno.

This.

If you gain some from it, its because it leaned out the fuel mixture by displacing fuel.

This.

Personally, I find the stuff to be quite useful. I used it to unstick a completely seized bottom end. Sure, it still needed to be rebuilt, but at least I could turn the thing around so I could check the transmission as best as possible without disassembling it.

I've also used it mixed in oil in the car, seems to keep the lifters in line a little. Note: motor has 200K and I need to use 15w40 if I want to go more than 500 miles w/o lifter noise. By 2500 miles, it's noisy no matter what. MMO keeps it going a little longer.

Seems to cut down on pinging when mixed with gas, like injector cleaner.

However, I've never added it to gas in a carb'd application.

It also smells good.

Edited by Smacaroni

I bought a gallon of it at Walmart for shits en giggles, I add two oz per 5 gals of fuel for "top end" lube per the bottle however, I haven't seen anything magical occur and when this gal bottle is done so am I with using it.

Best of luck.

tribalbc is actually correct on this one.

You are correct in saying that more fuel is more power, although you have to look at what the extra oil is doing in the engine to see why more oil is more power. The two big reasons are friction and ring seal. More oil will reduce the friction of the piston in the jug and will also promote higher ring seal reducing blow-by and increasing the overall compression. Thus more power.

There is a dyno test lurking somewhere (post it if you have it anyone) where varying ratios were tested and there was a significant and noticable difference in the dyno as MORE oil was added to mix. As long as the bike was properly jetted for change, you can mix your 2S at any ration from 10:1 to 100:1. Although for 10:1 you will have trouble finding jets big enough to accommodate the change. From 100:1 to 24:1 I think the difference was 10% more power.

Ever try to ignite 2S oil? It does vaporize somewhat due to the heat but dues not burn. Hence spooge.

18:1 ratio??? That is huge? I doubt an engine would even run with that much oil in it. 32: is about the stiffest I have seen with most happy between 40:1 and 50+:1

18:1 reduces gasoline big time. Since when was a 2S a diesel? :bonk:

Ring seal has nothing to do with oil, it it does, your rings/barrel are shot. The oil lubricates the crank and barrel, that is all. At least, that is all it is supposed to do.

Well you'll have to tell that to the 100's of fires I've started using 2 stroke oil. Burns quite well, just like any other oil. Years of logging in the Canadian bush in the winter, you learn to start fires with what you have.

Spooge is from improper jetting. As you add oil, you need to increase jet size obviously. I run 25:1 and as long as I'm running MX without a spark arestor there is 0 spooge. Woods riding with a SA there is always some, hard to avoid since cylinder temps aren't as consistently high.

I'm going to have to agree with tribal on this one. There have been numerous dyno tests showing two strokes make peak power between 16:1 and 18:1 premix ratio. I remember one test years ago using an RM250 that showed the difference in power at the same a/f ratio. There was also an article years ago on how a major chainsaw manufacturer (I think it was Husqvarna, I can't remember now) uses 16:1 premix ratio for all dyno runs to get the most impressive numbers to advertise. I have run 20:1 premix in all of my two strokes for over 15 years with great success. I picked this number after talking to one of the factory Yamaha mechanics at Unadilla years ago and finding out that this was the ratio that they were running.

As for Marvel Mystery oil, I have run it in my four strokes quite a bit. I never noticed any difference over not running it. It is a great fuel system cleaner (that is what it was originally developed for, the lubrication bonus was a side effect). I have run it in my cars quite a bit as well, and have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage every time I do. Adding a little MM oil to your gas definitely won't hurt anything, but I don't think it will give you any benefits you will feel with your butt, or even see on a real dyno.

32 vs 50 . your not going to notice a huge diffrence either than smoke and your engine life. you may notice it on a dyno but not just general riding

I am a big believer in the mystery oil. I have been using it in all my vehicles, bikes, boats for a long time. I think it helps keep the gas from going bad as fast and helps lube the top end and fuel injection stuff. I have never had to replace a fuel injection pump or injector on any of my vehicles, (some with over 200,000 miles) and when I was working in the marine industry we recommended it because it seemed to help keep the electric fuel pumps from going bad prematurely. The gas in CA is such crap it certainly can't hurt. I don't think there is any performance benefit just a little lube to help things last longer. If nothing else, it works for me.