Sign in to follow this  

sticky throttle control only when running???

What would make my throttle very sticky on my 1980 yamaha xt500G while it is running?? I am pretty sure I have ruled out binding cables as it is almost normal with bike off. Maybe old varnish from tank got to the slide? (I did clean the tank but some varnish remained) I rebuilt the carb but only put an inline filter in after the problem came to light. Is a vacuum issue possible? I will pull the carb later this week but hoping I am missing something obvious. Ant thought would be appreciated.

dogdoc

What would make my throttle very sticky on my 1980 yamaha xt500G while it is running?? I am pretty sure I have ruled out binding cables as it is almost normal with bike off. Maybe old varnish from tank got to the slide? (I did clean the tank but some varnish remained) I rebuilt the carb but only put an inline filter in after the problem came to light. Is a vacuum issue possible? I will pull the carb later this week but hoping I am missing something obvious. Ant thought would be appreciated.

dogdoc

Define sticky. You mean physically harder to turn, or just a 'hanging idle'.......

I mean physically harder to turn. RPMs will drop when I turn the throttle back to its starting position so not a "hanging idle". When the engine is off it becomes easier to turn