Sign in to follow this  

Red dust on KLX250SF near sprocket?

So after a few long rides I keep seeing red dust all over the chain, swingarm and rear tire. Its not coming from the front brakes, there is no rust on anything and I don't see anything red on the bike other than the rear shock and there does not seem to be any of this dust on the rear shock. I know it did not come from the road because it keeps coming back no matter where I ride. Anyone else ever seen this?

Many different colors of dust pick up the color of the oil/grease that it contacts. My guess is that's whats happening....the combo appears red.

I've had that happen by pressure-washing my O-ring chain. Water gets past the Orings, rusts the inside of the chain, then the rust gets flung out at speed.

I've had that happen by pressure-washing my O-ring chain. Water gets past the Orings, rusts the inside of the chain, then the rust gets flung out at speed.

Yes, keep a close eye on your chain. This is likely coming from inside the rollers and your chain may not have much life left in it.

Try to pull it away from the sprocket at the very back most point, if it is able to come almost off the teeth, it is shot.