Sign in to follow this  

Puzzling chain roller failure

The OEM DID chain was replaced last year with a Marshall chain and seems to be holding up well. A month ago I noticed a roller was missing. It happened to be the roller surrounding the rearward master link pin. Coincidentally it was time to shorten the chain a link so the fix was easy, just remove that link and reattach.

Now, a month later another roller is missing and it's missing from the identical location, from the reward pin of the master link. This can't be a coincidence but I don't see any difference between the sections joined by the master link and all the rest.

Has anyone seen this before, is there a reason for losing a roller, twice, in that particular location that I might be overlooking? My practice is to inspect and lub the chain with gear oil every 30-60 miles.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Are you saying that the chain has stretched enuf to need a link removed ? And its loosing rollers ? If so its wore out and needs to be replaced.

Are you saying that the chain has stretched enuf to need a link removed ? And its loosing rollers ? If so its wore out and needs to be replaced.
No. When the chain was replaced I went one tooth larger in back which means the new replacement chain started half way along on the slack adjustment. By the time the roller was lost it was time to revome a link to reset the slack adjustment. The chain is till in specs for stretch.

The red flag is two rollers were lost from the idential pin location in a matter of weeks and it happens to be on a master link pin. If that's not a coincidence the problem relates to the master link but I don't see any dimensions that look different from the rest of the chain. I've orderd a replacement link which I'll install with a second master link or have my mechanic rivit it. I'm tempted to own the riviting tool and keep some spare links around.

Is one missing roller a critical issue or can I use the bike for the next day or two until parts arrive? My intuition is the other rollers take up the slack and the missing roller isn't cause for immediate concern.

SInce starting this thread the roller over the forward master link pin wore off and now a roller one more pin to the rear of the master link. The chain gets replaced today. I think I've found the only plausible explanation. The master clip pins are a bit longer than the rivets on all the other links. There has been some noticable wear on those pins. I believe the master link pins are pushed side to side by the chain guide enough to accelerate the wear on the rollers. The moral of the story for me, I'm going to bite the bullet and have the equipment to rivet the chain instead of using master links.