Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel weight

I'm looking to tame my bike a bit when on technical trails via a flywheel weight. I weigh 225lbs. I'm curious what weight I should go with...9, 11 or 13.

I'm looking to tame my bike a bit when on technical trails via a flywheel weight. I weigh 225lbs. I'm curious what weight I should go with...9, 11 or 13.

I think the 11oz is the largest that fits. That's the one I put on my '08.

It works very well.

Steahly doesn't make a flywheel weight for the '09-'12 KXs. Word is (straight from Steahly as of this morning) they are planning to make one, but no specifics as to when.

The only option with the '09-'12 KX is to buy the heavier OEM flywheel for a whopping $425 or use the Steahly steel clutch basket:

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/flywheel-weight/kawasaki-flywheels/kawasaki-kx-450f-06-10-klx450-08-10-heavy-weight-steel-clutch-basket.html

Got the 9 ounce on my '08. It tames it and helps with stalling if you don't have an auto clutch. If your trails are really tight and technical, the 11 ounce may be the way to go.

Steahly doesn't make a flywheel weight for the '09-'12 KXs. Word is (straight from Steahly as of this morning) they are planning to make one, but no specifics as to when.

The only option with the '09-'12 KX is to buy the heavier OEM flywheel for a whopping $425 or use the Steahly steel clutch basket:

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/flywheel-weight/kawasaki-flywheels/kawasaki-kx-450f-06-10-klx450-08-10-heavy-weight-steel-clutch-basket.html

Nevermind! I see you're riding an '07. I'll shut up now. :bonk:

Thanks for the info. I ride tracks now and then as well. Will the weight change the bikes Performance on a track?

I put a 9oz on my 06. It's good for traction when the rear tire is hoping a little on bumps out of turns. Relevant to you since the 07 and 06 share the same crank part (I think), or at least very similar mass. Now it spins up more like a stock 08.

IMO, you'd need probably more than 13oz on the 06 or 07 to make the rate of power delivery feel similar to the 2009 or 10, EFI bikes that I've ridden.

Edited by numroe

I'm between an 11 and 13. Big difference between the two?
Going by what a 9oz did to my engine, I'd guess no, not a big diff. How's this sound: If you want to lug the engine, then get the 13oz. If you will be satisfied with improved traction and less body fatigue then the 11oz will certainly do the trick - since the 9oz did that for me.

I actually installed a stealthy 11oz. Perfect for me, what a difference.