Blind testing

Tell me,

Have dirt bikes ever had a "blind test" done?

obviously not blind folding the riders, but removing all the plastics, or having all the bikes wear white plastics - not giving the rider a look at the engine cases of configuration, covering up any tell tale branding. - just putting a warmed up rider on a warmed up bike for a timed test or number of laps and write up the feed back..

That way brand loylity or peoples ideas on other bikes would be taken out of the equation, they wouldn't cloud the judgement of the rider.

No sponsers, no money, no vested interests just a plain comparison..

What ya think?/?

I don't think this is possible. An experienced test rider would be able to tell the bikes apart just by sitting on them, even blindfolded. The ergonomics are a dead give away. A less experienced rider should not have any difficulty spotting things like Honda's steering stabilizer, Kawasaki's SFF fork, KTM's hydraulic clutch, Yamaha's backwards engine, and Suzuki's aluminum tank.

I don't think there's any way to realistically pull this off, BUT if somehow was...I think it would be a serious wake-up call for the average rider who thinks he knows what he's talking about regarding differences in bike setup, motor, suspension etc. Some average riders put way too much into what the magazines say about the new bikes when they themselves wouldn't be able fully use the suspension and motor anyway and wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I can tell you the ergonomics are hugely different btween the CRF and Wr line, I didn't like the WR at all. Now between my Gasgas and CRF the ergos are remarkably similar. Now for the avg schmo, the off the shelf bike has more performance than they can actually use.

Since they're race bikes, I don't know why they don't put more emphasis on lap times (some mags publish them, but it is very inconsistent). They should publish lap times with:

1. a spectrum of different riders, broken down by skill level

2. with and without common mods that riders are likely to do

If the lap times are not significantly different, they ought to let us know.

I would also like to see lap times on offroad loops for offroad bikes.