Sign in to follow this  

For those with tracks....

I have 60 (out of 2100) acres that I use for a PRIVATE MX track, trails etc. The area is out in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing on the rd but my track and the abandoned house across the street. The area used to be a sod farm. I have it posted very well with NT signs. There are only 2 points of access. One is an easy fix. The other is the entire front of the property faces a road, all 1 mile of it. At the east end of the property I have about an 5 ft high elevation over the road. As you go west it tapers to nothing. Anywhere I put up a gate, they drive around it. Anywhere I dig a ditch and build a berm they go around it. Someone with a pretty big truck climbed the highest point. :bonk:

Now they are driving on my track, climbing the jumps....its getting out of hand. I spend more time fixing what some redneck asshat has torn up then anything. Did I mention they SHOT, yes SHOT, some of my trees down! I go through about 10 No Trespassing signs a week. Bay Co Sheriff and the FWC both have written permission to police the area on my behalf. The FWC officer is like a freggen ninja out there. He writes 5x tickets the BSO deputy's do. Officer Price really likes his work. He calls my track a "honey hole". Its really bad now that it has cooled off. Honestly, I don't know what to do short of getting a dozer and build a wall from one end to the other.

For those of you that ignore No Trespassing signs and destroy other peoples property. YOU are the ones causing all the land to be gated off and/or closed!

I would love to have more people to ride with. Heck me and the kids go out and play in the clay pit. We BBQ out there and have nice tailgate parties. Its a family recreation area. But no one EVER stops to ask. They bug out off the property when they find me there or even better, drive just past the tree line and go to my other problem area. The infamous "party pit".

The "party pit" is just that, all the local kids go there to go 4 wheeling and get drunk. They REALLY trash it. Bottles, cans, fires (this can be a MAJOR problem here when its dry. Forest fire anyone?). I put up a gate, its gets ripped down. I instal a big gate, it gets ripped down. I instal a tubular STEEL gate, it gets ripped down (in two freggen days!). I build a dirt mound, they knock that down too.

So track/property owners I am at my wits end. How do you keep people OUT?

Few pics

013-1.jpg

Deadpond-11-5616.jpg

How about an electrified gate? Seriously though, that really sucks. I don't have any (legal) suggestions, but I really feel for you. I group these types of trespassers with common thieves and burglars. Really sickening...

I have used big azz rocks laid in a row. Other than that I dont know. Claymores? A string of 155mm shells buried and hooked up to the gate as a trigger? Bet people would stop messing with your property after a couple of experiences with that.

I had this same problem on my place. The biggest offense though was poaching deer and turkey from the road via spotlights at night. Game and Fish have all but put an end to it. I am surrounded by National Forrest also, and the total land closure (I fought it tooth and nail) has also helped remove unwanted traffic. Persistence and a few legal examples made from individuals is the only thing that worked.

Try using trail cameras to catch tag numbers and forward to your cooperating officer.

My problem stemmed from the "local's" belief that they were entitled to my land since it had been there all their lives, and I was an outsider anyway. Great Logic. Good luck.

Is it illegal to put a giant sign up that says "Trespassers will be shot"? :bonk:

I see this happening at a big section of woods in my town. All the guys with huge trucks and jeeps keep tearing down the fences the land owner puts up in front of the entrance. I remember the land owner put up a guard rail across the entrance, and that lasted a while before it was eventually torn down. Maybe you could look into that.

guardrail.jpg

I am lucky enough that we can see the track from my buddies living room. Let some guy with a camper stay there and you wont have any problems. He lives for free and you get a security guard. Might even give you the warm and fuzzies by helping someone out.

I had this same problem on my place. The biggest offense though was poaching deer and turkey from the road via spotlights at night. Game and Fish have all but put an end to it. I am surrounded by National Forrest also, and the total land closure (I fought it tooth and nail) has also helped remove unwanted traffic. Persistence and a few legal examples made from individuals is the only thing that worked.

Try using trail cameras to catch tag numbers and forward to your cooperating officer.

My problem stemmed from the "local's" belief that they were entitled to my land since it had been there all their lives, and I was an outsider anyway. Great Logic. Good luck.

Trail camera with infrared red led lights. You will never see the flash go off. I have the Primos Truth Cam 46 (around $125 each).

Trail cam is a good idea as long as you feel that's its hidden well enough. Otherwise it'll get stolen. Eventually if law enforcement writes enough tickets word will get out to stay off your place. But that takes time and you'll still never be left alone. You could just become that "crazy guy" who hides in the woods and runs people off with a shotgun. Or hides wood with nails in it around the entrance to pop tires. I hate to vandalize other people's stuff but I'd be pretty frustrated too.

Rock salt in the shotgun?

The border of our land is nowhere near as big as yours but what we ended up doing was build a big dirt mound with a big trench on each side and then put a gate up (similar to what a lot of the coal mines do in my area). This keeps most of the trucks out but quads and bikes still seem to find a way in. the guard rail seems like a real good idea

guard rails are recyclable...no need to give them free money...and besides, a few well placed boulders, and my 67 Bronco climbs right over. Nothing will stop the tube buggies. Tank traps are effective for most other trucks

Edit: Now that I think more about it, egoman is right. You should build YOUR house on the property. :bonk:

where at in Florida do you live I have a brother in Pensacola area I will be heading down soon to vist him and would love to ride your place I would even do a couple nights of security watch

I remember a guy riding our private track, we're only allowed to ride sundays, as agreed with the locals.

Got a complaint saying someone was riding on the saturday, went up the week after and sure enough people untying the gate and driving their bikes round it.

Went up and told them it was tresspassing, they apologised and put their bikes against the trailer. Thought nothing of it until I heard the bikes going again.

So middle of the week. I use a digger and make a 3 foot gorge off a ski jump, not a big one but you can wreck something shocking off it. Covered with a thin layer of soil.

Went up the next sunday to fill in the hole for the legal guys who ride it (had received yet another complaint about people going up on saturday past) found a rear fender and what looked to be the remains of a helmet visor half way down the slope.

Never saw them again :bonk:

We are going to try some different types of ditches. We had a line of 3 mounds and ditches and it looks like some Jeeps had fun "flexing" on them. Good news, it looks like they didn't make it across. So they just found another way in and pretty much destroyed 3 large burms and our "drop in" banked turn. One of the property owners down the road mentioned someone actually stole a large aluminum gate he installed. Damn scrappers!

Honestly, I thought with the FWC (Florida wildlife commission) and Sheriff's office handing out tickets like they were candy would cut down on the numbers. Its actually gotten much worse. One guy told the FWC game warden he had been coming out there all his life and would continue to do so. Officer Price said he told the guy next time and he'd watch him load his ATV into the back of his patrol truck. Now that's what I am talking about! Price also said anyone caught dumping will have to clean my ENTIRE property!:bonk:

The good news is that during the last incident, the BSO & FWC agreed to keep each other informed of who was ticketed or warned. This will make it easier to build a case and prosecute the offenders.

Hmmmm, let us know how this goes. If its anything like I think, ya may be in for a long battle.

In your area, are there any other places the wild life hangs out?

There are tons of dear, bald eagles, black bear and turkeys out there (if this is what you are asking). The 2100 acres has been my neighbors hunting lease for the last 25yrs. He alone hunts all but the 60 acres allotted to me. Well 2yrs ago the FWC had a huge sting on poachers out there using NVG's and electric off road golf karts. FWC tells me more about it each time they come around. FWC's Officer Price, is the nicest guy I have ever met that is in a position of authority.

He says the same thing.. it comes with the territory. I knew it, but I am getting sick of it. The local Jeep club are begging me to let them use the party pit. They say they will build defenses around my track and instal a gate and cameras if I let them use the party pit. The said that because if they block of the redneck party pit, they will be all over my track. No doubt about it. I would let them, but, I dunno, something just doesn't feel right about it.

PLUS, add in all my "friends" that want to ride for free and not help with the track. I am getting fed up with it. I mean its not like I ask a lot (release of liability form, help facing the track and $100 a yr for equipment) but man, they are making me be the bad guy. I don't like that but damn it, I built most of the track BY HAND! Its HUGE too, Pro lap times are in the 1:50 range and my track doesn't really loop back on itself at all.

Here is a rough draft of the layout.

DPphaseII.jpg

That wasn't exactly the type of wild life I was thinking about(deer, bear, turkey, etc) but ya answered my question. It sounds to me like the jeep club is your best option. The locals have become accustomed to being in the area, and in my experience ya need a lot more than yourself to keep that onslaught from happening. Like ya said, it's just too much load on your shoulders. I sympathize with ya, and when it finally becomes too much and ya let it go under...just know you've been able to do what most never get the chance.

Big tracks are a lotta work...lotta fun.

:bonk:

ya might not tell the jeepers they 'can'...just not do anything about it. Look the other way

I feel your pain dude. I have some local rednecks down the road how eye our track all the time. I don't have a serious issue with them getting on the track because we know where they live and they know it. The best thing to do is to catch them in the act, get some plate numbers down. Or if you talk to them, tell them they are trespassing and (i'm not sure how authorities are out where you are) they can get arrested. plus if the idiots who are riding on your property get hurt, there can be some serious legal issues if it is pressed hard enough.

Berry spikes, nine inch nails, or something sticking out of the ground to puncture tires all around the perimeter except at the main gate...