Sign in to follow this  

Hard starting cold

I have 2005 450x. It has low hours Bike starts good when weather is warm, but when it is cold really hard to start. I just checked valves and they were spec on. Could this be a carb. problem. thanks for any help.:bonk:

I have 2005 450x. It has low hours Bike starts good when weather is warm, but when it is cold really hard to start. I just checked valves and they were spec on. Could this be a carb. problem. thanks for any help.:bonk:

What is your starting ritual?

SOP is three + pulls on the throttle, choke on, start with no throttle.

If it's cold out, you can turn up the idle screw a full turn, and follow the same procedure.

My 05 absolutely HATES starting in the cold. If it's below 50 or so I end up kicking it a bit. I have done the airbox and jetting and the valves are good. At 60 degrees, it will fire easy first thing in the morning.

I live a few states above you and mine is a beast to start when cold also.

Yeah i'm in the same boat, but its probably colder up here then where you guys are!

My bike actually feels like it doesnt have as much compression when its really cold out.

Would turning the fuel screw clockwise to richen the mixture help start? I know cold air is leaner which would put more air in the mix.

I've been running about a 1/2 turn richer on the idle mixture screw (CCW) as the air temp has gotten colder. No issues starting.:bonk:

Of course, it doesn't get as cold down here :smirk:, but the mean temperature does drop about 50F from 100F riding days in the summer to 50F riding days in the winter, (during "cold" spells). :banana:

• Like 1

must be nice! We go from 90F in the summer to -10F in the winter, and thats ignoring the heat/cold spells :bonk:

Yikes !!! Of course, please tell me you wouldn't be on a bike when it's -10F, right?? :smirk::banana:

But, I wonder if the extreme temp change for you guys would require a change to a larger (richer) pilot jet to help starting??? :bonk:

Once running, maybe even a needle clip position change and/or a larger main is required to get things right?

I dont personally ride in the winter, I'm not a big fan of the cold, but I know some guys who throw studded tires on and rip around on the lake.

I'm assuming they have to change the main jet and needle clip position, I dont see how the bike would run otherwise! lol

I ride mine in the winter and once its warmed up it runs fine, the engine temp. is probably the same anyways riding in 20 degree weather in deep snow vs. normal trail riding in the summer.

I dont personally ride in the winter, I'm not a big fan of the cold, but I know some guys who throw studded tires on and rip around on the lake.

I'm assuming they have to change the main jet and needle clip position, I dont see how the bike would run otherwise! lol

Do you have your bike stored in a warm area? And did you play around with the fuel screw?

I have tried to start mine in colder temperature before and it will not budge.

i have a stock 05 that gets pulled when its below 40 degrees, hopefully after my rebuild and carb work it does better

I ride mine in the winter and once its warmed up it runs fine, the engine temp. is probably the same anyways riding in 20 degree weather in deep snow vs. normal trail riding in the summer.

I am very hesitant riding my 450 in the winter. Our 450's don't have a thermostat vs. the TRX450 which does. My temp, not moving is what it is 210 degrees for example. But once I start cruising on a COLD day it drops considerably 116ish degrees. I worry about thermal expansion or lack there of, mainly that my piston would expand to a greater outside diameter and the cylinder with the jacket water would contract promoting seizing or accelerated wear. This is just a personal concern / theory of mine and I don't know how plausible it really would be, but I don't want to find out.

Just my .02

I figured people put in a bigger pilot for cold temps. Would cold temperature explain why it seems like my bike has less compression that it usually does?

I was trying to do one last oil change before parking the bike for the winter, it wouldnt start, but I noticed there was barely any compression on the kickstart.