Sign in to follow this  

AC Joint surgery?

Hi Dr Mark

Exacly a month ago I was involved in a crash which resulted in a grade 3 AC joint dislocation, I was airlifted to hospidal at the time due to a spinal shock and the fact the accident site was a long hike by road to the nearest hospidal. I was discharged with some pain killers and visited my doctor a week later who refered me to a surgeon.

I had the surgeons appt this week, he has given me two options as the koint is pushed backwards into the muscles, which is to have surgery now in a public hospidal and have the joint plated or to wait until he is back at work in Janurary and he will remove a tendon from my leg and put it in my shoulder, Im not sure of the merits and pitfalls of either proceedure? It sounds a bit invasive and hes advised recovery time up to 6 months??

I have been seeing a physiotherapist for 3 weeks and Im very happy with my progress and range of movement, I still have a bit of pain but it is not unbearable and Im still only at the 4 week mark, having stopped taking pain killers at two weeks.

Im very confused as to what choice to make as you can understand Im desperate to get back on the bike as soon as possible, and if theres a chance of full recovery with no surgery it would be ideal, any light you could shed on this would be much appreciated

I don't like either of these two options. Lots of people do fine not having it operated at all. That's my choice.

I have a separated shoulder, from what I hear from you don't get it worked on. It'll never be 100% so forget that.

You'll be back to life and riding much faster without repair.

Yeah I hope so!

I had a second opinion from another surgeon last week and he also was pretty keen to get amongst it but with a kevlar strap other than a tendon, however Im still at only the 5 week mark and hoping it will sort itself out!...I went for a wee ride up and down the driveway last night and it didnt cause a huge amount of pain :bonk: