Sign in to follow this  

Tools for splitting the case

I am going to split the case on my 05 CR250 and found the Tusk:

Flywheel puller

Crankshaft puller

Case splitter

Do I need the case splitter or will the crankshaft puller push on the crank and serve the same purpose as the case splitter?

Any recommendations on better selection of tools before I spend my hard earned bucks?

You need both of them.. the splitter splits the cases.. the crankshaft puller/installer does just tthat, removes and installs the crank. ou need everything you have listed as well as a clutch hub holder, which also doubles as a gear holder.. all from tusk from rmatv.

Also i suggest, hi temp medium streanth locktite and a torque wrench are both a must.. good luck and enjoy! :bonk:

I also have the 05 and recently did a complete rebuild.. I highly recommend while you have the cases split to get the cases matched to ur cylinder gasket.. If ur not confident doing it urself.. get it done by a shop, it wont be epensive at all and really wakes up the motor. there are other mods idid as well, but if you dont want to do too much and keep it inexpensive but worth while performance wise.. get this done at least, you wont be sorry.. im sure others will agree on this.. and if you feel like spending $245.. the jd pwk 38 airstryker wakes up the bike even more..

Flywheel puller

Crankshaft puller

Case splitter

Do I need the case splitter or will the crankshaft puller push on the crank and serve the same purpose as the case splitter?

Any recommendations on better selection of tools before I spend my hard earned bucks?

I'd buy the flywheel and crankshaft pullers, but you can make a case splitter out of a piece of scrap plywood and a few bolts.

JayC

why would you match the cases to the cylinder gasket ? wouldnt you make sure the cases/cylinder match then match the gasket to that ?? honda production tolerences are pretty good when it comes to one part matching the other. im not saying they are dead on perfect but pretty darn good. sure you could spend some time making them match EXACTLY but its a waste of time for the weekend rider. i disagree that it really wakes up the motor when everything is already matched pretty good but do as you wish

why would you match the cases to the cylinder gasket ? wouldnt you make sure the cases/cylinder match then match the gasket to that ?? honda production tolerences are pretty good when it comes to one part matching the other. im not saying they are dead on perfect but pretty darn good. sure you could spend some time making them match EXACTLY but its a waste of time for the weekend rider. i disagree that it really wakes up the motor when everything is already matched pretty good but do as you wish

Oh really.. please explain how this doesnt help motor performance?When everything is matched perfectly "including cylinder" you get better fuel flow.. no restrictions for fuel means better flow, better flow means better performance. When these motors come from the factory.. no 2 tolerences are the same due to production.. matching everything provides the full potential of the motor.. I should of taken pics of the shavings from when i matched mine so i could show you just how "close" the tolerences were..

By the way.. do you really think when the factory teams get there motors, that they have the same "Close" tolerences" as your motor off production? No.. everything is matched perfectly.. So again, please tell me how this wont wake up the motor? His cases will be split already, he can take it to a shop and get this done cheaply.. so why not? :bonk:

can buy $20 dremel at walmart and do it himself then polish the wifes furniture while hes at it. should get atleast 5 hp :bonk:

:worthy:brilliant come back dude.. u def know what ur talkin about:worthy: I guess pro circuit offers this service as an engine mod without having no clue what it does.. but just does it anyway? No reason at all.. because according to you, it does nothing.. Now again im going to ask you.. How does doing this not help the performance of the motor? Instead of being a smartass, back up what you say, its really as simple as that.. But my prediction is, you will come back with another smart ass comment or say nothing at all because you have no clue what you are talkin about.. fell free to prove me wrong cupcake..

Flywheel puller

Crankshaft puller

Case splitter

If you have the budget, get it all. Nothing like having the right tool(s) for the job. If no, I'd buy a $15 puller from Autozone and some longer 6mm bolts and washers. You can install crank by bagging it and putting it in the freezer for a few hours. You don't have to have the puller but it's nice. :bonk:

IMG_3593.jpg

if you want to pay $100 plus round trip shipping for somebody to match your cases then go ahead. can do the same job in your garage with $20 dremel. personally i wouldnt even bother doing it at all if i was a weekend rider who puts around in the hills behind my house. now if your porting the cylinder it would make sense to match everything since your already right there with a grinder. i have some porting tools and will gladly match cases all day for $100 a set. if you got any friends who need this service please send them my way. i could do 3 sets and be in watching tv on the couch by noon and getting rich