Sign in to follow this  

DRZ125L rear hub

Nah... my rear brake drum has always been a mess. I am just getting sick of listening to the brakes squeel. I dont want to spend a ton replacing it cause I have a KX100 swingarm project sitting in the shed. I just haven't made time for it yet. My KX rear wheel needs spokes and the KX brake calliper needs to be rebuilt. I need to just get off my A$$ and finish that up...

Nah... my rear brake drum has always been a mess. I am just getting sick of listening to the brakes squeel. I dont want to spend a ton replacing it cause I have a KX100 swingarm project sitting in the shed. I just haven't made time for it yet. My KX rear wheel needs spokes and the KX brake calliper needs to be rebuilt. I need to just get off my A$$ and finish that up...

wish I had my swap ready to go, i sell mine to you. I am about 1 month out still.

You're not the only one lookin'. I need "L" spokes, maybe we can work something out?. But I'll admit, I'm not looking as hard as I should either. I can't see paying for a full set of spokes when I only need two, or is it three? It's an off-road youth bike, not a street bike. I'm not going to relace the whole wheel.

Are you looking for "(KLX,DRZ) 125 (wheel, hub)" wheel on fleabay? Otherwise you'll get a bunch of crap. Well, you'll still get a bunch of crap. Ebay does frustrate me because they only seem to care about how many listing fees they can generate, not the quality of the results to the buyers. I.E. Listing the same thing a hundred times in every possibly related category, so when you search "all of eBay Motors", you get 100 results of identical items from the same seller. Likewise Suzuki Stickers should not be listed under "engine and components" and if you try, you should get slapped hard. Do it twice and get banned.

I have a whole wheel assembly. I think its one of the earlier ones though (they were steel rimmed). Pm me if your interested in that...

After 3 years of e-bay watching we got one for 200$,we have had the hub back ordered for 2 years. Now suzuki updated that hub after 04. Added gussetts to the casting for strength.It fits all years.

The early ones broke like glass,if you see any of them buy it. Its not going to be cheep.

The large and small wheel hubs are the same,so 16 or 14in can be swaped out.Spokes can still be had new,rims are alum or steel you can still can get them new or aftermarket.

sucks about the hub,the week link as i see it.

Its only weak if you let the spokes get loose. I'm betting with all the kx conversions going on here that there should be some drz hubs lying around (remember you can probably do the entire kx 100 swingarm conversion with wheel for around that price range....

True, I'd suggest looking for a KX100 parts bike. I paid $200 for the whole KX100 donor and probably another $100 for bearings and machine shop work.

oops, no 16", it's the rear! I welded up a few holes and put tiny washers on the rest. Then a new set of spokes. Seems okay for now. Still looking for another hub, or kx100!

OK guys, I am about to put my KX conversion in full motion. I have recieved some conflicting info though. A buddy of mine that did this mod is telling me that I am going to have to machine down the DRZ bearing race's to get them to work in the KX swingarm. When I check the "sticky" conversion thread here it says nothing about that. So my question is:

If I order a set of DRZ swingarm bearings, will they press right into the KX swingarm (post machining) or will I have to modify the bearings as well??

Yes, after machining the KX swingarm will accept DR-Z swing arm bushings (aftermarket sells bearings, we used AllBalls)

Have your swingarm bored to accept the drz bearings, then have the correct spacers made so the distances are correct. ( if done properly, the drz bearings will slide right in, sleeves and all). You don't want to modify the bearings or the sleeve. That would mean you would have to modify them every time you replaced them. Make sense?

Tom

Yes, after machining the KX swingarm will accept DR-Z swing arm bushings (aftermarket sells bearings, we used AllBalls)

Perfect! I'm going to order up a set of all balls and drop them and the swingarm off to the machine shop.

Either of you guys have the measurements for the spacers? If I had those I could have all the machining done ahead of time.

Thanks!

Have your swingarm bored to accept the drz bearings, then have the correct spacers made so the distances are correct. ( if done properly, the drz bearings will slide right in, sleeves and all). You don't want to modify the bearings or the sleeve. That would mean you would have to modify them every time you replaced them. Make sense?

Tom

It does make sense, and I am glad to hear that!

Unfortunately, I don't. I just crammed washers in till it was centered. Spacers would have been better and lighter (used 7/8"?? fender washers) but it's hard to turn down a cost of around $1 with instant availability.