Sign in to follow this  

Are stock Exhaust pipes aluminum?

I am planning on making a carbon fiber pipe guard for my 125. The only problem is that aluminum corodes when placed next to carbon fiber. So I was wondering if the stock exhaust is aluminum or steal?

The only problem is that aluminum corodes when placed next to carbon fiber.

Really? Never heard of that. Why are there many different carbon fiber guards made in the after market world then? I've seen frame guards, skid plates, and other guards offered by light speed and other manufacturers. Never heard of anyone comlpaining of corosion.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/216/13457/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Frame-Suspension-Guards-LightSpeed-Performance-Carbon-Fiber-Frame-Guards.aspx?SiteID=CSE_BingShopping_13457&WT.mc_ID=80019&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=49&zmap=13457

Eline carbon fiber header guard

http://www.elineaccessories.com/pipeguards.html

Really? Never heard of that. Why are there many different carbon fiber guards made in the after market world then? I've seen frame guards, skid plates, and other guards offered by light speed and other manufacturers. Never heard of anyone comlpaining of corosion.

Bare aluminum in contact with carbon fiber will cause galvanic corrosion. Carbon and Aluminum form a battery, water gets in as your electrolite (in simple terms).

Carbon fiber frame guards on aluminum frames must have a layrer or fiberglass, or some other barrier between the two.

Bare aluminum in contact with carbon fiber will cause galvanic corrosion. Carbon and Aluminum form a battery, water gets in as your electrolite (in simple terms).

Carbon fiber frame guards on aluminum frames must have a layrer or fiberglass, or some other barrier between the two.

Interesting. Thanks. I've never really been much of a fan of carbon fiber on my dirtbikes anyways, and that just makes it concrete. I'm sure the aftermarket manufactures are doing something as a barrier though. One would have to think that any barrier will wear through at some point.

Edited by mikewrf18

Thanks for all the answers! I will post some pictures when it is done. In my engineering class at my high school we have an unlimited supply of carbon fiber that is constantly donated from boeing.