Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech temp sensor

Getting a Trail Tech Vaper for the XR. From what i see there are two locations for the temp sensor. The spark plug or on the oil bolt from the head. My question is were is the best location to read the temp. Also what temp do these XR 400 run at?

Thanks

I put my sensor wire under the top engine mount bolt head. That places it directly against the valve cover.

It won't go under the spark plug. And I don't know what "oil bolt from the head" you could be referring to.

So you just pick one of the four engine bolts on top?

Sorry the instruction said there is an oil line that bolts on to the top of the engine that you can use. But now thinking of it I believe they are probably referring to the older style XR's.

LOL, I put my temp sensor on the header bolt so I have a direct cylinder temperature. It ranges from 300-350 degrees and when I ride in first gear for a long time it can get up to the high 300's to 400 degrees, that's when I know to speed up and get the engine some wind!!!

Also the ambient temperature on my trial tech is way off, anyone else have this problem??????? It always shows it's warmer than it really is??????

My odometer on the trail tech shows I put over 3000 miles on the old xr this year:busted:

I put my temp sensor under the head bolt in front of the spark plug, it reads around 350-400 degrees on the high end. Also my ambient temp is always higher but I'm pretty sure its due to its placement directly above the oil cooler and headlight, which both put out a lot of heat.

That seems really hot, dont it? Would a oil temp be a little better to get a closer currect temp?

7NLHONDA, yeah the cylinder temp runs higher than the oil temp. I think oil temps are around 280? I like the cylinder temp better because it goes up quicker than the oil temp so it lets you know to speed up and cool that engine down quicker than a oil temp would IMO. It is super easy to loosen the exhaust header bolt and slide the sensor on, it takes like 2 minutes. Most will say you want a oil temp though and they are most likely right, I just like the cylinder temp for now.

Just throwing this out

My 91 250 xr250l runs slot cooler with synthetic !

Just sayin

My sensor is on the same bolt as XL100's, just forward of the spark plug. The trailtech instructions say to put it on an oil line that isn't on the 400, not sure what bike it is. After running it on the cylinder head for about a month I agree that 300-350 is about the norm - problem is that's a really big range. I think a lot of this is due to the proximity of my unwrapped headers. Might be better w/ that done or might still fluctuate a lot. Anyway I don't think I'm going to keep it there but haven't noticed a good place to get oil temp that doesn't have other drawbacks.

Im fixing up an old 1993 XR250R & I picked up a brand new Trailtech Indicator Dash kit (022-PDA for $55.00AU delivered from the USA) and have just ordered a VAPOR (STEALTH / 752-402 kit) speedo on the way also from the USA also and wanted to find out the details before I bought it so I came across this page>

http://trailtech.net/xr.html

all the PDF instuctions are found here too>

http://www.trailtech.net/instructions.html

I was also curious how the temp pickup/sensor worked too

Hopefully the TRAILTECH links may help someone?

I will be able to add some more details/feedback when im able to fit my new speedo, Hopefully within the next week or so?

I was looking at getting one of the ACEWELL speedo's but it costs a little more so maybe next time>

http://www.s3performance.com.au/acewell-3701-digital-speedometer-tachometer-with-pilot-lights-p-58.html

Apparently the ACEWELL speedo's are standard equipment on Australian road registered CRF450X's?

Air cooled engines are normal right around 350 degrees, i reached as high as 440 degrees on my honda climbing a steep 5 mile hill on a very hot day, trail tech sensor was around the spark plug.

no worries, they can take it.

Placing the sensor under the spark plug provides the most accurate temp readings. The closer to the combustion chamber the more accurate the reading. If you can't mount it under the plug can it be attached to a fin close to the combustion chamber?

Other locations will indicate a lower temp for the same conditions. On an oil line fastener it will be strongly influenced by oil temp not head temp. Under a cylinder head bolt would be better.

Attached near the exhaust pipe it will be influenced by exhaust gas temp.

I have Vapors on two XRs and the temps can run 350-400 although mostly for trail riding the temps are below 300.

Thanks for the good info Chuck. I am supprised that it runs that hot. i was guessing it would run about as hot as a car or maybe a diesel. Its quite a bit hotter then that. But it is true these xr's hard to hurt.

Thanks