Sign in to follow this  

rode the 300xc and 250sx (been on thumpers for 10 years)

So this past week a buddy of mine picked up a new 2012 300 XC and has been waiting for his 2012 250 sx to come in. He found two 2012 250 sx's one with about 10 hours on it and the other with 2-3 hours on it. The one with 10 hours was jetted, PC pipe and silencer and suspension done. The other one was bone stock. I been riding 4 strokes since about 02 when the honda 450 came out and have owned every single Japanese 450 made over and over sometimes 2-3 a year all different so I have a good idea on what they all do good and bad "for me".. Im a big dude about 6'3 240 lbs and ride (if I raced im a practice hero) in the vet intermediate/ expert class. I raced 500's all through the 90's and always had a 250 two stroke also just rode the 500's more because I could holeshot just about any race on it. So over the past two years and about 8 bikes later ive had them all and had some of the best stuff (suspension, clutch ect) on them all. I was burnt out and was ready to give it up and get another boat and go fishing :busted: About 7 months ago I rode a friends 350 sxf and was really surprised how much I liked it. At the time I had a 2011 yz450 with 8 hours on it, sold it the following week and picked up a 350 sxf. I have that thing dilaed for me to perfection and its been solid since day one.Ive done all the precautionary measures in hope to avoid any fuel injection, fuel pump, air filter and and other issues that ive read about on the 350. Ive personally had zero issues and I love the bike because I can ride it and man handle it the way I want to where as a 450 tires me out quick from revving them. I guess I never adapted to the 450's just rode them hard for 4 laps and pull off. The 350 is like a 2stroke out of all thumpers I owned, it needs to be ridden hard,precise and revved out which I really enjoy it's a lot of fun.

So yesterday I left my 350 at home and went to ride a sand track on the two strokes. I was nervous no doubt because I did try to ride one a couple years ago and I went about 1/4 of a lap and said "f&^k this"

I geared up and rode the 300 xc first , it was brand brand new and my buddy said run it man I dont give a crap im gonna ride the 250 so I said "ten 4"

I took off out on the track on the 300 and was surprised of the torque of it , I did some laps and started feeling ok on it. Holy crap did it feel light even compared to the 350 which is like 6-7 pounds lighter than a stock 350.. No comparison at all of course the 2stroke felt about 30 lbs lighter to me (and this was the 300!) The bike is definitely not made to be revved out, I was in 5th gear in the these sand whoops roller things wide open almost revved in 5th.. I found that 2nd was too short for the corners and 3rd was too tall so I was constantly clutching in the turns but everywhere else it worked well.. I would gear it down a tooth for sure tho if I bought one.

Towards the end of the day when the track was hammered my buddy was like " you have to ride the 300 and jump on the 250 see how it is" I really was not interested in riding the 250 i was pretty beat plus if anything I wanted a 300 but after riding the 300 most of the time yesterday I said screw it ill try the 250. :bonk::smirk:

Holy shnikeys that thing was BAD to the bone.. the suspension was soft but man did thing run good.. it was jetted with a 160 main and I think a 48 and some other needle not sure but man it ripped. He tuned it down with the heavier spring so it wouldnt be so explosive and had the map swith on the bars set to "sissy" haha but I liked it that way because I could rail the turns and not worry about getting launched into space:banghead: I did not ride the other stock 250 sx but he did and he said it was a HUGE difference between the two "HUGE". The 250 was fun and that is what its all about for me, the more fun I have the more confident I become and the faster u go.:banana:

On my drive home I almost had to pull over and think because I was getting a headache thinking about those two strokes. It was a flash back to the 80's and 90's. They are SO much lighter and funner to ride just unbelievable .. I definitely am faster on my 350 no doubt BUT I think if I rode the smoker for about a month or two and focused on it only I could ride it as fast as any thumper ive had or have. I dont knock 4strokes there great machines I just feel they are taking the technology out of the comfort zone for me. I dont like fuel injection, fuel pumps or anything like that unless it is bullet proof and there just not , add in valves and top end there is that possibility of a nightmare happening and its always on my mind.

the two strokes are just simple and reliable. Im going to ride it on a harder pack track and that will be the deal breaker , hopefully we can go out to Hangtown if I can ride the thing there and have fun I can ride it anywhere then.

For not riding two strokes for 10-12 years I forgot how fun they are, there core of the sport.

Thanks for reading

Edited by norcal_hoss
  • Like 1

If you thought it was fast and fun on a sand track wait til you get it on a perfectly prepped tacky track! These things absolutely rip! By the way I've had the 250 2 and 4 strokes, 450's etc etc.

Would like to hear more about the difference between the stock and modified 250SX. Any way you could get the jetting specifics and ignition mapping info would be appreciated. So seems to me that the power delivery differences, assuming both bikes are jetted ok, would come down to the PC pipe/silencer, valve spring, and ignition mapping. Have read and heard about the PC pipe/silencer combo but have heard little about it from real life riders who have installed it on the 2012 250SX and how it varies from stock.

Good post, hoss.

The modern 2s sure feel light and awesome when you first get on 'em. After riding the 300 on mostly sand and a little bit of sticky dirt, I was thinking that it was a gentle bike, even a dirt noob like me could handle it. Then we rode some snotty clay and frozen mud trails on Saturday and now I'm skeered.

The slightest hamfist on the throttle and the bike went, "YAAP!" and it was sideways. It's a good thing the seatcover is stretched really tight, I barely goosed it off a waterbar and boosted so high I achieved a new clamping force record.

anyways, full respect to you guys that know how to flog a 2 stroke. It aint as easy as it looks!

Nice post,The core of the sport......I like that!!I am waiting on my 250sx to show up,Im going freaking crazy reading these post's about how quick they are!!Cool to hear this kinda stuff from a 4 stroke guy,most wouldnt admit to enjoying the power and fury of a modern 2 stroke...lol!!Well done!!

I made the switch back to 2-strokes about 2 years ago...happy, rejuvenated and content. That about explains how I feel about the switch. My 2012 250sx is a bike I can still be very very competitive with but have the satisfaction of knowing I am having maximum fun every time I throw my leg over it.:bonk:

Why do you feel you are faster on the 350, are you just that out of practice on the 2-smokers? The 250 produces more horsepower and will pull the 350 pretty easily in just about all conditions, so expect to have more fun and be just as fast or maybe a bit quicker. Skill is generally the deciding factor on how fast you go, not engine displacement/type. I'm coming off 450's (Vet B rider) last year and I have have the same lap times on my 250 as i did with my 450, except I can put in several extra laps on the 250 at race pace. Heck, my lap times are only fractions of seconds slower when riding my 150sx...but my grin is even wider on that one. Speed=same, Fun=no contest between 2t and 4t

Nice write-up, enjoy the moto decision making crisis you seem to be entering :-)

Edited by tdrewk

Just an update..

I rode the 250 sx a bit more and I liked it but on hard pack it was harder to go fast.. I gave them time and decided I was over it and was keeping the 350.

Yesterday I rode my buddy's 300 xc again but this time he had it set up better.. He took the electric start off, kick stand and added a SXS head and a fmf fatty exhaust with silencer.

Holy S#$% this thing is bad to the bone. I did not ride my 350 all day it sat perfectly clean all day because I was having way too much fun on the 300. Speed wise id say im as fast on it now or faster than any thumper ive owned in the last 11 years. It revs now and the power is totally different than the stock xc. The combo of the sxs head and fatty pipe and the 10 lbs he dropped off the bike makes this thing a moto weapon.

Im pretty shocked that a two stroke goes for close to $9k here but my mind is made up ill be picking one up today or Tuesday. Here is a photo of the bike, wish I would have took one from the other side where the giant starter box is, it looks so much better with that stuff off the bike. Dont get me wrong I love electric start but shaving 8-10 lbs off or whatever it was is a big deal and just feels completely different than the stocker. The suspension is way too plush for me but the valving might be decent with heavier springs.

1250w.jpg

yea that sx head makes a huge difference, for me its way to much Im selling my sx head i have for my 2011 300, way to hard to handle on the trails for me

Im sure it fits the 12 300 xc? What do you want for it? I ride mx only to me it's a must I dont know if its the fmf or the head or the combo of the two but the bike revs now unlike stock. The power is just freakin awesome on that thing now.

Well my buddy has 3 12' 250 sx's and I think two of them are getting the 300 kit..I will probably try one out but I think the 300 has a heavier flywheel and the ignition maybe different. I can get a 250sx for $7300 otd but add in another $1000 for a 300 sxs kit and im close to a 300 xc that has estart, bigger tank (love the clear tanks) and i like the feel of the 18" rear wheel. It will be interesting to ride both back to back.

Keep us posted. I am selling my 2008 450XC this weekend and am looking for a change,something lighter. Thinking of the 350 or 300.

i would love to see a picture of the other side of the bike without the starter on it.

i really cant wait to get my 300 this spring:ride:

So I'm assuming if you added a 300sxs head to a 2012 250SX it would pretty much be the same bike, huh?

I'm assuming you mean the entire top end, as a 300 head wont fit on a 250 bike, close but not exactly as the 250Sx has a different crank.